PDA

View Full Version : Going with an Outlaw Rod

ledouxmike
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
I did some searching and decided to go with an Outlaw Rod. I"m just not sure what length to go with for fishing with a cork and spider rigging. I like a long 12 ft jig pole, the ones without a reel. The only thing is when i have overhang and the rod tip or line get caught up in the low trees. What handles or you guys going with too, the cork or the foam?

Oh, one more thing, how many inches from the bottom of the rod to the reel seat? I haven't been able to find pictures of the rods. thanks in advance.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
i fish with cork but you can ask the owner JR about the handles from butt end to reel seat...he is a member of the site and his user name is alwaysfishin

you will be very happy with these rods

papermouthking
01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I was still thinking about giving a outlaw 12 footer a run for it's money
!! It sure felt like a good pole for the money!!

LOZcrappie
01-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Just bought a 12' Outlaw. Eager to use it but haven't yet. Just happened to compare the handle to my 10' B&M when I was putting it away. The overall handle length on the Outlaw was just a bit shorter than the B&M surprisingly.

ledouxmike
01-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Just bought a 12' Outlaw. Eager to use it but haven't yet. Just happened to compare the handle to my 10' B&M when I was putting it away. The overall handle length on the Outlaw was just a bit shorter than the B&M surprisingly.

Which B&M, cause i've seen different lengths on their different rods?
I'm actually hoping it's short because i want to use it as my main pole and i'm putting a baitcaster on it.

alwaysfishin
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
I only make the 12' with an Eva (foam) handle. You can get a 11' with either cork or Eva handle......Thanks for choosing Outlaw......JR

ledouxmike
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I only make the 12' with an Eva (foam) handle. You can get a 11' with either cork or Eva handle......Thanks for choosing Outlaw......JR

How many inches from the bottom of the rod to the reel seat?

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Fishing with a Cork handle is a Must for me. Then again, I don't spider rig. I have tried the foam handles and they just don't give me the feel I'm looking for. The guys that I know that do spider rig seem to prefer the foam. They say it's more durable than the cork.

alwaysfishin
01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I haven't one close to me right now....all in warehouse. Anyone else close to their 12' Outlaw........

CrappieKillerJigs
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
i dont have a 12 near me but on the 11 the handle is about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 from butt to reel seat...i dont think the 12 footer from what i have seen is very much diff.

ledouxmike
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
i dont have a 12 near me but on the 11 the handle is about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 from butt to reel seat...i dont think the 12 footer from what i have seen is very much diff.

That sounds great. I have the ready bee rod holders and they don't require a high reel mount. thanks a bunch

ledouxmike
01-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Can someone post a picture of one of their rods. I can't find a picture of these rods anywhere.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-19-2010, 12:14 AM
ill post a pic in the morning of my 11ft outlaw next to my 7'2 outlaw...

CrappieKillerJigs
01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
i was taking a guess at first by eye balling the rod but here is a 7'2 and 11ft outlaws side by side the cork is 7'2 the foam is 11ft...the handle to reel seat on the 11 is 9 3/4....you can see the tape in the pic

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj471/crappiekillerz/rods.jpg

ledouxmike
01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
i was taking a guess at first by eye balling the rod but here is a 7'2 and 11ft outlaws side by side the cork is 7'2 the foam is 11ft...the handle to reel seat on the 11 is 9 3/4....you can see the tape in the pic

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj471/crappiekillerz/rods.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic. I went ahead and ordered 2 12 footers.

CrappieKillerJigs
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
you will be very happy with them...

Hat55
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I did some searching and decided to go with an Outlaw Rod. I"m just not sure what length to go with for fishing with a cork and spider rigging. I like a long 12 ft jig pole, the ones without a reel. The only thing is when i have overhang and the rod tip or line get caught up in the low trees. What handles or you guys going with too, the cork or the foam?

Oh, one more thing, how many inches from the bottom of the rod to the reel seat? I haven't been able to find pictures of the rods. thanks in advance.

I am looking at rods, and was wondering what made you choose Outlaw.
Thanks.

ledouxmike
01-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I am looking at rods, and was wondering what made you choose Outlaw.
Thanks.

Well, first I decided i wasn't buying a rod based on a cheap price. I wanted what others were using and raving about. I searched the forums and found people doing just that. Also, I wanted a rod with a solid backbone and a sensitive tip and also like the fact that the tips are painted. Not all companies do that or you have to buy a separate tip.
Hope that helps.

yikess
01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, first I decided i wasn't buying a rod based on a cheap price. I wanted what others were using and raving about. I searched the forums and found people doing just that. Also, I wanted a rod with a solid backbone and a sensitive tip and also like the fact that the tips are painted. Not all companies do that or you have to buy a separate tip.
Hope that helps.

Your use of the words "solid backbone" kind of scare me. I bought mine specifically because of the rod action. They don't have a stiff backbone where there is an abrupt difference in action like the B & M's. They are super strong but will almost start bending at the handle in one smooth continuous motion, never putting undo stress on the rod tip like the B &M's. When you get yours hold it out like your jig fishing and lay the tip on the ground and you will see a wonderful flowing bend all the way down the rod. I love mine and will be getting a couple of more at the Grizzly show next weekend.:D

ledouxmike
01-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Your use of the words "solid backbone" kind of scare me. I bought mine specifically because of the rod action. They don't have a stiff backbone where there is an abrupt difference in action like the B & M's. They are super strong but will almost start bending at the handle in one smooth continuous motion, never putting undo stress on the rod tip like the B &M's. When you get yours hold it out like your jig fishing and lay the tip on the ground and you will see a wonderful flowing bend all the way down the rod. I love mine and will be getting a couple of more at the Grizzly show next weekend.:D

Why do you like the action? Does it make it easy to swing fish in the boat?

CrappieKillerJigs
01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
i would have to agree but disagree with yikess...the rods do display the weight thru the whole rod and not just the tip like most rods but they have some real nice back bone to them also...i have seen in person a guy pull in a 32lb flat head with one...i dont know if you guys know this but if you do some how snap a tip on a outlaw rod it only cost around $15.00 for a whole new tip(top end of rod)...

buzzmanmo
01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
My 8 ft. is 10 in from the butt to seat

ledouxmike
01-20-2010, 12:38 AM
i would have to agree but disagree with yikess...the rods do display the weight thru the whole rod and not just the tip like most rods but they have some real nice back bone to them also...i have seen in person a guy pull in a 32lb flat head with one...i dont know if you guys know this but if you do some how snap a tip on a outlaw rod it only cost around $15.00 for a whole new tip(top end of rod)...

Would it be considered a light action rod?

GRIZZ
01-20-2010, 04:44 AM
I'll be honest and say this style of fishing isn't exactly my area of expertise, but if I were itchin to learn float style spider rigging I would go to the pro's and see what they are doing and copy it. It just so happens that last spring I spent a week with 2 masters of that technique and picked their brains. Those 2 happen to be Jerry Blake and Darryl Morris. Unless I am mistaken they use and sell to interested copycats this rod for float spider rigging.

BNM Fishing (http://www.bnmpoles.com/p-78-bucks-best-ultra-lite-pole.aspx)

Let me tell ya. Those boys KNOW. Just head over to their websites for some proof.

I'm sure those outlaws are fine rods. People sure like em a lot here. Are they made in the US?

Sincerely, crappie fishing copycat extraordinaire,

GRIZZ

CrappieKillerJigs
01-20-2010, 08:47 AM
There is NOT ONE rod company that makes rod in the US...i know this for a fact

yikess
01-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Why do you like the action? Does it make it easy to swing fish in the boat?

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I like the action because it distributes the power over a longer area than the B&M's which will allow you to double the rod over if need be. Hopefully it will never be needed but it's nice to know it will do it. I have broken B&M rods just by lifting 2 pound crappie over the side of the boat when I didn't have my net out and ready to go. Don't get me wrong, the Outlaw's are strong. I was just concerned with the term backbone which is normally demonstrated in the middle to upper third of the rod.