Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting back into the boat

I am a soon to be 70 year dude and i do have some healthissues. I wear a PFD (inflateble) all the time when I am fishing. I sometimes wonder how would I get back into my 20' bass boat if I were to fall in. The thought of adding one of those fold 4 step transom ladders has crossed my mind. Do you know anyone that has added the ladder?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anyone that has added the ladder, but if I ever go into the drink I will use the foot on the big motor as a step and the power tilt button as an elevator to bring me up so I can dump my dumb butt back into the boat! :D

You should actually practise this self-rescue method a couple of times on a hot summer day this year... and remember in cold weather your wet clothes will and another 30 or more pounds to you.
    Last edited by GCD; 01-14-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

get the ladder. i ve known lots of guys young and old that ordered their boat with a ladder . great safety accessory .
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

got a ladder on mine, I can still crawl back in but you never know. I think it is a great safety feature!

Post Thanks / Like

I know several people who've added ladders. I have one on mine. It's much harder than most people think to get into a boat from the water, especially when wearing warm clothing and dealing with cold water. Sometimes the best plan is to reach in and operate the trolling motor to drive the boat to shallow water.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a ladder, but I do have a rope with a loop tied in it, tied down in the transom of the boat. If need be, and I'm in the water, I can reach over and pull it down, stick my foot in. I don't really have room for a ladder on the back of my 1648 so this will do for now, could save someones life one day.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

For a 70 year old guy, even one in great health, trying to jack yourself into the boat witht he trim/tilt is a very bad idea. The foot tends to be very slippery and there is a 3 or 4 blade ginzu knife just waiting for you to make a mistake just below you. It takes a good bit of upper body strength to hold onto the cowling assuming your motor has a place to hold onto. In addition, if you ever did fall out, what if you got banged up when you went out and wasn't 100% when you were in the water? In addition, we all fear the ultra cold water, but the truth is anything below 70 will affect you a lot quicker than you realize.

Do yourself and your family a service and get the ladder installed.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    For a 70 year old guy, even one in great health, trying to jack yourself into the boat witht he trim/tilt is a very bad idea. The foot tends to be very slippery and there is a 3 or 4 blade ginzu knife just waiting for you to make a mistake just below you. It takes a good bit of upper body strength to hold onto the cowling assuming your motor has a place to hold onto. In addition, if you ever did fall out, what if you got banged up when you went out and wasn't 100% when you were in the water? In addition, we all fear the ultra cold water, but the truth is anything below 70 will affect you a lot quicker than you realize.

Do yourself and your family a service and get the ladder installed.

Wannabe...
    The ladder is a good idea... for warm weather self rescue, but try climbing one with heavy wet clothing on... especially when you've been weakened by the shock of cold water immersion. A person needs every little bit of help they can get in this situation! As for the prop, I dunno about you... but in the winter I wear heavy boots and socks to keep my feet warm. The motor should be out of gear and off if you've fallen in while walking around in the boat or while running the trolling motor, if you were traveling under power, the motor should be off because you were wearing your kill switch.

If I couldn't get up ladder, I'd surely try the tilt rescue.

Here's a vid you may want to watch that could save your life.

YouTube - Cold Water Boot Camp

Post Thanks / Like

I fell into 50 something degree water once. The word shock doesn't do it justice. It was almost impossible not to inhale water, and it took several seconds to get to the point that I could start swimming. Very scary.

Post Thanks / Like

I have step pods on my boat that make it possible to get back in. I always wear an inflatable , now. Be hard for me to drag my old, fat, stiff carcass back into a boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast