Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Broken Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broken Rods

If you are like me you probably have a shed full of broken crappie poles.
    I seem to snap one of those long things on nearly every trip.
    Wanted to share this little tip - thanks to my father in-law !

Most all can be fixed:
    I had several that were broke close to the butt end. Several were clean breaks and others were crushed.
    Solution: Use a dremel or any high speed cutoff tool and cut as near the break as you can. For those that are crushed make sure to feel back and cut at the first solid portion you can feel on the rod.
    Hopefully if your shed is as full of poles as mine, you'll find plenty of other "fix em" rods out there.
    Sort thru and find an old rod that is as close to the inner diameter of the broken crappie rod as you can find.
    You'll want to cut at least an 8" piece from the "fix em" rod that will be inserted into the broken crappie rod.
    Using your cutoff tool you can experiment on the 8" piece until you get a good fit for the broken rod. You'll probably end up with about a 5" piece.
    Once you have found a good fit make sure to lightly sand the ends of the broken rod and even them up.
    I also run a small piece of rolled up sandpaper into the broken ends and rough them up a bit for securing with epoxy.
    Next run some epoxy up into one broken end and then insert the replacement piece, leaving enough sticking out to secure the other end of the broken rod. I usually give this at least a few hours to set up even though I'm using 5 minute epoxy.
    Make sure the first replacement piece is aligned before the epoxy sets up.
    Once dry repeat the process by the inserting the other end of the broken rod over the new replacement piece. Sand as needed to insure they line up just right. You may need to add a small wrap of tape on the replacement piece to get a good fit for the upper end of the broken rod to get a secure fit.
    Once everything has set up make sure to complete this next step or all your efforts to this point will be in vain as the rod will split again the first time you try and haul a slab over the side (hard lesson learned .
    I usually spread a thin coat of epoxy over the entire repaired joint.
    Then take some rod thread (any strong thread will work) and "sew" the whole repaired area just as you would on an eyelet.
    The thin coat of epoxy initially applied will insure the thread stays in place while you are sewing this up.
    Once this has dried you can go back and add more coats to fancy it up as much as you like.

I have repaired many like this over the years and there is no unusual feel to the action of the rod and the repair seems to last forever or until my big clumsy feet break them again.

The same can be applied to the upper portion of the rod if you can find small enough replacement rods to work with.
    If the break is too close to the tip I usually get a new tip that will fit or sand at the end until the original tip eyelet will slide back on the broken end and then glue back on.

Tip for not having so many broken rods:
    Those big egg sinkers for slow trolling are murder when bouncing against a long crappie rod.
    I can't count the number of times I have made the run from the 64 bridge back to Ebenezer (especially on a windy day) and found I have at least one more rod to add to the "need fixin up" pile.
    Quick solution I use - steal one of the wifes small cleaning sponges - small flat types.
    I cut a piece out big enough to wrap around the rod and sinker.
    I make one wrap around the rod and then another around the rod but covering the sinker on this wrap.
    Pick up a roll of double sided velco at lowes or home depot.
    Cut off a piece long enough to secure around your sponge and you are ready to take on that run thru the white cappers

Hope this helps !

Here's to praying the weatherman is right about this weekend.
    Can't wait to get back out there !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

10zsoltrl:
    Thanks ! for the the rod repair tips, but how is the sewing process done?
    boots

Post Thanks / Like

good info, and welcome to the board!
    Full day 1/2 day or evening Striper/Crappie fishing trips available at a very affordable price for
    Lake Norman, Badin, Wateree, High Rock.
    Individual maker of the heavy duty "hybrid" A-rig Trolls just like an umbrella rig, Guaranteed to put fish in the boat

https://www.facebook.com/pmmalec Email: [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/BOLOcharters

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum.....and thanks for a good informative post.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to be here !!!!!
    I always check this site before planning any trip out to Jordan.
    Absolutely fantastic info here ! Thanks to everyone for the updates !

As far as the sewing goes, take a look at one of the eyelets (guides) on your rod or where the two pieces slide together.
    You will see they have basically (sewn) wound thread tightly around the rod.

When I was a younger man without a wife and 3 kids to occupy my time I used make a rod or two now and then.
    They have fancy little tricks for securing the thread if you are going for a nice super smooth look, different color threads if ya really wanna get fancy.

These days, time on the water is more important than a pretty rod, so I just slap on a thin layer of epoxy, then take a spool of thread and TIGHTLY wind it around the entire repaired area. The epoxy takes the place of having to secure the thread with that fancy stitch.
    Once you have the thread on (AGAIN - TIGHTLY) and the epxoy is starting to set up you can wet your finger and smooth out the whole area to where it looks pretty nice.
    I usually add one more good coat of epoxy after the above is dried just for good measure.

Check out this link if you are as ate up with cabin fever as the rest of us:

http://www.hookhack.com/images/RBDEX1.pdf

It gives pretty detailed info on securing with that fancy stitch !

Hopes this helps get a few more of those ole favorite rods back into action again

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post and welcome to the site. I have also repaired broken rods in the past using a similar technique. After finding an appropriate fit for the inner portion of the break I found the outer section of rod to fit over the break and once the proper fit was found all epoxy applied and set. I have never had a problem with the repaired rods and I believe they are tougher than the original rod at the repaired point.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent idea - I'm sure I'll get a chance to give it a try after a weekend of flopping around in the boat and no doubt stepping on yet another rod !

This "getting old" stuff is mighty humbling
    Having a little trouble adjusting to the big 50 club

Post Thanks / Like

I use a slightly different approach. I go by a junkyard and get radio antennas
    (the kind that are made of spring steel, not the hollow type). Then insert approximately 5" fo the correct size inside and epoxy. I also place a piece of swinkrap over the mended area, and apply heat for a smooth finish look. of course this only works on the smaller tip ends as the antenna is not large enough for the butt section.
    Larry Callahan

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by llcallahan View Post
    I use a slightly different approach. I go by a junkyard and get radio antennas
    (the kind that are made of spring steel, not the hollow type). Then insert approximately 5" fo the correct size inside and epoxy. I also place a piece of swinkrap over the mended area, and apply heat for a smooth finish look. of course this only works on the smaller tip ends as the antenna is not large enough for the butt section.
    Larry, you coming over Saturday with Dave to the condo project?

Post Thanks / Like

poppop

I will have to wait and see, as I have wifes sisters coming in from Ohio.

I will make every effort to get out of that hen party lol.
    Larry Callahan