Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How thick is the ice at missy?

kwerdal is offline Moderator Indiana Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How thick is the ice at missy?

I want to go GPS mark some stuff is there any places I should stay away from how thick is it around the miami ramp and on to red bridge?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Was on Missi today around redbridge. The ice was a good 4"+ where we were. (10' depths) Did not see anyone out towards the middle. I saw some great bank structure that I need to remember for spawning time. With the warming temps and maybe a little running water, I'd be careful and cautious. You should be able to skirt the southern edges as they are the most protected from the sunshine. Just be careful and spud as you go.
    Doug - got hooked on LUND!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
    Just be careful and spud as you go.
    what does spud mean?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin,
    Spud is using an ice chisel and tapping the ice infront of you as you go, listing for a different sound of the ice. Its a potato spud bar. You can hear bad ice with a hollow dull thud. (hard to explain the sound) The first creek east of Francis Slocum has a gusher of a spring located in the middle of the creek about 30/50 yards from the north bank. For Miami ramp, from the ramp out about 3/4 of the way out to main lake is around 4' deep, so the ice should be ok there. Past that I would use caution. Use caution walking around any bluff areas or standing timber..

Post Thanks / Like

And of course when on ice, use the buddy system and never go alone. If you should go thru you will need help getting out. Trust me, it will take your breath away, and your clothes are super heavy when soaked. Just pull a sweat shirt out of the washing machine and see how heavy it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with a buddy tonight for a few didnt do any good ice is about 7 inches under the red bridge guys said they were biten till we got there LOL
    Kevin