Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best bobber stop?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best bobber stop?

New to fishing and just learned how to use a slip bobber. Thinking of buying cabelas dog bone stop. Any comments/suggestions? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Sinker stops. Has a wire you put your line through and then pull on the other end and it pulls through a rubber stop with a bead. I may not have made it very clear but they work really well. Rubber stop holds well. You can get them alot of places like this style.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more with bufalo13. I've tried making my own (with larger fishing line), used the plastic kind that you weave your line through, then the kind where you slip thread off a hollow plastic tube. None is simpler than the wire loop with rubber stop and it doesn't slip. I also like using them for depth markers on my line.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tie your own!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Stoddard ...

Quote Originally Posted by stoddard73 View Post
    New to fishing and just learned how to use a slip bobber. Thinking of buying cabelas dog bone stop. Any comments/suggestions? Thanks
    I've used the "dogbone" style, "ladder style", and the "rubber/bead on a wire loop" style.

The dogbone & ladder shaped plastic ones work good, & don't slip when casting/retrieving. They do, however, deteriorate over time, and become brittle. They are a bit of a pain to move, to increase/decrease your depth. And they do seem to kink up your line, somewhat, at the point where you place them. They can also tend to hang up in your reel spool.

Ladder style :

Dogbone style :

The rubber stopper/bead on a wire loop also works good, but you have to get the proper size for whatever size line you're using. They, too, will deteriorate over time. They're much easier to move up and down your line, and don't seem to bend/kink the line where they're placed. They do, however, tend to hang up on small rod tip eyes, and change the depth you're using. This is especially true when reeling in a fish, unless you watch for the rubber stopper and drop your rod tip for a half second, to allow the rubber stopper to pass by it.

Rubber/bead on a wire loop style :

These are the only ones I've used (images not necessarily the exact brand) ... and I've only used them sparingly, since I don't use slip floats all that often, so that may be the reason for the deterioration

While looking for images to post, I did come across some other versions. But, since I haven't used them, I'll defer any comments.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the info

Post Thanks / Like

I like the string type on a short piece of tubing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been tieing my own lately. Here's the diagram about how to do it. Real easy to tie and stays on well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures View Post
    Tie your own!
    Yep, tie your own, they will last longer, go through your guides smoother, and you can use the same method for any size line.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Bobber Stops

I do a lot of slip bobber fishing for crappie - and bass. Tried the dog bones. Your eyes have to be better than mine to use those! I have a terrible time trying to thread those on my line! And, as has been noted here, they do break, cause line kink and are difficult to remove.

And I've tried the rubber stops. These are very difficult to get into position (friction between rubber and line), as well as when you try to move them on your line, to adjust depth. They are sensitive to the size line you are using and have a tendency to tear if re-positioned too many times (sometimes even just one re-adjustment does them in!).

I also find that both of these kind of stops, can and do, hinder your cast as well. The stops have a tendency to occasionally hang on rod eyes, limiting your distance and impeding your casting accuracy. I have to admit however, that I didn't use either one very long, mainly due to the other stated limitations I found with them.

Instead, for years now, I've been using the string type bobber stops. These are readily available at any tackle shop, BPS or Cabelas. The individual, brightly colored knots, are pre-tied on small plastic tubes. Makes putting one on very simple. Adjustments are easy as well as removal. You just have to make sure you tie them on your line tightly. I also wet the knot with saliva before cinching it down. Has little or no impact on the line itself. Works for me!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast