Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what color line and size?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what color line and size?

i love how helpful people are on this site! very friendly and courteous to new folks.

high vis with flo. leader?

clear?

camo?

4-6-8-?

shortlining or dipping i use heavier. casting 4-6. flatling 6-8 dragging 6-8

Post Thanks / Like

I remember once using highly visible Gold Stren line in the 6 lb. test. It didn't seem to affect the crappie fishing at all. I was fishing in Watts Bar Lake with minnows under a bobber in the spring, anywhere from 8' to 14' of water. I caught my limit of crappie a couple of times on this line, and usually got st least 15 to 20 keepers when I didn't get my limit. Also caught smallmouths, largemouths, catfish, drum, and yellow perch. The water was fairly clear.

But three of us were fishing a shallow state owned pond open to the public a few days later. We were in a jon boat fishing 4' of water making long casts using a Carolina Rig with store bought nightcrawlers on the bottom for shellcrackers. I had convinced one of these guys a few weeks earlier the Gold Stren was the way to go. A month or so after I had spooled up with Gold Stren, I had hung up so many times in submerged trees and rocks and my line had many abrasions. And my reel was getting low on line, below 2/3 of the spool. So I respooled my Mitchell 308 with 6 lb. test Excel non-flourescent line from BPS which I always kept on hand and it was much cheaper. I didn't want to drive anywhere on a short notice the night before for a line change of Stren. My buddy with the Gold Stren didn't catch a shellcracker that day, but the other two of us wore them out. The water was pretty murky so I still don't figure out why the 'crackers wouldn't hit his rig with the Gold Stren. He usually outfishes me!!!

Anyway, I never used Gold Stren again. It is a very strong line in 6 lb. test, I was reeling in big tree branches I'd hung in and never remember the line breaking on a fish. The only breakoffs were in snags or rocks. I recommend it. I had also used it in a creek fishing for small eater size channel catfish on bottom with good results in clear water.
    Last edited by Festus_Haggen; 01-04-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert and 99% of the time I'm vertical in some kind of tree and even when I'm not... I'm using braid, usually red.....no flouro leaders or nothing. I love it, wouldn't use anything else. If they're that finicky I just won't catch 'em I guess.
    Maybe I'll change one day, but right now I'm hard-headed and happy. (I do keep a spool of some reg 6lb stren mono if I see I'm getting outfished by it though :D.....)
    -10lb test, 2lb diameter red or green power pro

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsj66 View Post
    i love how helpful people are on this site! very friendly and courteous to new folks.

high vis with flo. leader?

clear?

camo?

4-6-8-?

shortlining or dipping i use heavier. casting 4-6. flatling 6-8 dragging 6-8

For crappie I just use 8 lb. clear trilene line, with either a minnow and bobber rig or ill jig for em. My setup is a 9' crappie hunter combo.
    Last edited by CrappieCatcher27; 01-05-2010 at 01:40 AM. Reason: had to add more words

Post Thanks / Like

I frequent many Slabfest events in Ga. and also co-direct a few tournaments.

Near 80% of those attending use the hi vis yellow lines in the 4 to 8 lb range.

I personally use the hi vis wally marshall 8lb and have only one problem, thats with sunlight fading and weakening the line, so every 3 months i respool.

That problem is caused because the boat is unsheltered and in direct sunlight.

I chose this line because of all these guys and seeing first hand some of the catches that they have gotten with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Must be some pretty good line.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been usin sufix elite yellow for the last couple yrs. 4lb for castin jigs. it has increased my crappie catch, mainly because I see a lot more stikes with it. I've caught a 3lber just recently an several over 2lbs on it. when asked if crappie can see it, I say yes, but if they watch it for a couple seconds, they gonna see my jig!!! Me and the folks fishin with me have caught over 6,000 crappie both of the last two yrs. Thanks to IBNFSHN for givin me the first spool!

Post Thanks / Like

i fish with the Sufix siege in neon tangerine....strong,bright and easy to cast
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4lb Gama copolymer in hi-vis gold for casting. For fishing minnows under a slip cork, it's hard to beat 15 or 20lb braid for the reel and 15" of 12lb fluorocarbon leader with #4 or #2 gold light wire hook.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast