Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spider Rigging

The first time I saw someone spider rigging was about 20 yrs ago on Reelfoot and it's always intrigued me. I've just bought a Driftmaster T bar w/ 4 rod holders. I generaly fish the 45 -75mm of LOZ. What length trolling rod would be appropriate for that water clarity (5ft or less vivibility)? Line weight? Bell sinker? This is all new to me so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Keith
    AKA: LOZslabhunter
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.......

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12' rods and 6# test with 1/2-3/4oz egg sinkers wrapped about a foot above the jigs. I use 1/2oz when it's calm and 3/4oz when windy.

Post Thanks / Like

12' rods, 10 lbs. test on main line and 6lbs. on the leeders. I use 1/2 ounce egg sinker and when it's windy I don't spider rig. I use a 3 way swivel with a 12" leeder on top. Then I run through an egg sinker and tie on a regular swivel to hold the egg sinker on about 18", then tie on another leeder about 15" with the bottom hook or jig. Lots of different rigs out there, this is what I use.
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 1/8oz jigs tied to Stren braid. If it gets windy I will add a 1/4oz or 3/8oz weight also. If I am using minnows I will use a 3/8oz weight on bottom and to gold hooks about a foot apart and a foot above the weight. I do not use any type of leaders or swivels. Just tie palomer knots to every thing. I started out using the smaller leaders than the main line but still took to much time get rigged back up after breaking off. So just use braid now and tie on with the palomer knot. I can just straighten out hooks and replace when needed now which is much faster. I use 12ft rods on Truman but in clearer water you may want to step up to longer rods. A lot of guys use 14 and 16ft rods on LOZ. Some of the pros use 16 to 20ft rods. Invest in a good net with an extendable handle. I use the Ego reach net with rubber netting. There are a thousand different ways to do it so just find something simple and expand from that as you go. I started out to complicated and went the other direction. It can be a very fun way to fish. Both guys sitting up front and can shoot the crap with out yelling and it can get very exciting real quick when you get into the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 -16' Wally Marshall rods out the front and 12' on the sides . I use a 3/4 oz. bell sinker and one hook tied 12" from the sinker on a dropper loop and the other up 18" from that hook on a dropper loop. I'll use 20 lb. Fireline on the main line , tied to a swivel and make up several pre tied leaders with the dropper loops ahead of time . This saves me time re rigging on break offs.
    I have a Driftmaster T Bar too . I love it

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so, if two guys are sitting in the front, you troll forward so the jigs are running under the boat? Sorry for the dumb question, I have never done it and would like to start. good post lozslabhunter, I live on LOZ and maybe we can hook up sometime and try to figure this stuff out!!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

With the extra weights it keeps the line straight down so it does not run under the boat or get back into the trolling motor. The faster you want to go the more weight it will require to keep the line and bait hanging straight down. We always troll into the wind to make it easier to control the speed. It also allows you to be pushed backwards by the wind if you get a line hung on underwater structure making it easier to get it free.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12 footers with 1/2 - 3/4 Oz bell sinker and tie one hook or jig about 16 inces above it with a loop knot and another hook about 12 inches above it with a loop knot. I feel the loop knot works the best of any method I have tried. I have not relined my rods yet and am using 6lb mono cause that is what I had. When I buy new line I will either use braid or 10lb mono. I did buy the add a seat so 2 people can sit in the front and I have 2 sets of rod holders so I can put out 8 rods. This is my first year so I am new to it but have had fun learning and catching fish. If you get into them you will not be able to handle 4 rods at a time. I have had to go to 2 rods before because 4 is too many.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12' BnM rods spooled with 10lb mono. Lke Jared I dont tie leaders I fish straight off the line using palomar knots. If I am fishing jigs I space them about 12-18" apart. If it starts to get windy I add a large split shot or weight to it. It I am fishing minnows I rig a hook with a egg sinker about 8" below it and then a 1/8oz road runner below it about 8". But like everyone says there are many ways to skin a cat. If I were you I would start and try the ideas posted here and then try things that pop up in your mind. You might find that what works for some wont work for you.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically with 3/8 to 1/2 ounce weights on your line, if your lines are going under the boat then you're moving too fast in my experience.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast