Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Knowledge Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Knowledge Help

I have been crappe fishing for years and have good success from February - May each year pulling. Does anyone pull year round with success?

I have always struggled when I have trield to slow down and learn how to spider rig out the front. I have tried pulling crankbaits, powertrolling (pushing). You name the technique and I have tried it.

I guess that I am seeking to understand what the crappie are doing these other times of the year and why I struggle catching them June - January. Is there a good book (resource) that explains the habits, habitat, patterns, and knowedge aquired about crappie fishing that will me understand and improve my fishing. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Friartuck

Post Thanks / Like

"Is there a good book (resource) that explains the habits, habitat, patterns, and knowedge aquired about crappie fishing that will me understand and improve my fishing. Thanks in advance for any help."

I'm looking forward to the response on this thread. I have been wondering this also. I saw articles mentioned on here before but never really saw them.

I only fish The Coon cause that's where I keep my toon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lots of good material...but...

there are some out there that promote "questionable" tactics so beware! Just do an internet search and you will come up with a bunch.

Do a search of C.com site and you will get a lot of good first hand info from C.commers that you can usually take to the bank.

Steer clear of Dan Eggerston and the "Old Time Crappie Secrets" book.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Friartuck, I fish the exact same spots in the fall and winter that I do in the summer The only thing that I do different is to be prepared to fish a little deeper or shallower depending on the conditions and dress a little more warmly. All of my fishing is done in a slightly warmer climate( Mississippi) than some and I'm always fishing on the Tenn-Tom Waterway in the edge of Alabama. I went a couple of weeks ago when the temp. was 35when I started and about 40 when I quit. I caught 22 and had 3 crappie that was 2# or better. I use the same jigs and nibbles summer and winter. I have been doing this in the same spots for over 30 years now and I guess I'm to old to change. Like I say, I am no expert, and I'm sure some of these other guys can give a lot better advice than me. Good fishin.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say search the forum right here, BUT also check out the main page, there's lots of articles there. I'm slowly getting through them all.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

spring and fall i long line troll with jigs and crankbaits....summer i like to jig deep water and somtimes have to use live bait....winter i keep my butt inside as our ice dont get thick nuff for ice fishing....but this year water temp was low 40's and i was still catching them fishing 2ft deep in 4fow....crappie have a mind all of their own...i dont think anyone will really know how they work
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Found a real good book put out by in-fisherman in hastings dedicated strictly to Crappie. 12 or 15 bucks it has a lot of info. Some was basic but some was news to me. Might could find it on amazon as part of the in-fisherman library. Or just stick around here and ask lots of questions, make a new more experienced friend and learn like the rest of us have
    Welcome to the best family oriented fishing website around. Wavin a big hello from Middle Tennessee.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankee doodler View Post
    there are some out there that promote "questionable" tactics so beware! Just do an internet search and you will come up with a bunch.
    "questionable tactics"?... other than explosives, electroshocking, poison, or snagging... I don't understand.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

This....http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...e-degrees.html ...and other good reads are in the "Archives" forum of Crappie.com...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing by degrees

thanks rnvinc. That article is hepful
    Friartuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast