Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: portable garage for boat storage

Post Thanks / Like

Default portable garage for boat storage

Hey all! Merry Christmas and happy New Year to everyone!

I was wondering if any of you use a portable garage like this one
    20'x10' Heavy Duty Portable Close Garage Carport Canopy:eBay Motors (item 320358289732 end time Jan-03-10 12:52:57 PST)
    to store your boat. I have recently required my father-in-laws 17 foot Charger bass boat following his death and have found it a pain to take off the boat cover every time I need to charge the batteries, clean the boat, hook to the truck to go fishing, etc. So I am considering purchasing one of these portable garages since I only have a 1 car carport and can't add to it since I do not own the house we live in. Any ideas of the kind of life I could expect from one of these? What will I need to anchor it to the ground for stability and can I expect it to be stable enough that it will not hurt the boat? I live in Louisiana so little snow, but we do have LOTS of rain and some wind from the occasional hurricane/thunderstorm. Thanks in advance for your opinions and experiences.

Kevin Smith

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a round top one from Menards that I have my boat in.
    Haven't had it but about 3 months and it works great for me.
    We haven't gotten the normal storms yet but have gotten a foot of snow and it is working well.
    I am hoping for 2 years before it needs the top or ends replaced.
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta look at it a couple ways. I think you could get it at best offer for @ $260. The canvas should last a couple years but then you'll have to look at doing it again, or double the money now(plus a little maybe) and get you one of those metal carports that should last for decades. Guess it depends on how much you want to spend now but I think if it were me I'd continue having to fool with that cover until I could afford the metal.:o

p.s.:Just read your ENTIRE post and if a tornado comes I dont think either would still be standing, but the metal top could be listed on your homeowners as a permenant structure and be covered should something happen. You'd have to look into this, but I think I'm right.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.