Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turner Gill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turner Gill

I just watched his press conference and I have to say that I feel 100% better than I did when this news broke over the weekend. I was not a Harbaugh guy as I think he would have been gone after next season to Michigan or the NFL. But I was pulling for Skip Holtz or Tubberville.

But after listening to this I have no doubt that we will be able to recruit better players to KU. As I watched I thought about Gill and Mangino walking into my living room to try and get me to come to KU. No doubt that Gill is going to win most of those in my opinion. I really think Mangino's physcial presence started hurting KU. I was a big Mangino fan and did not think he should have been let go, but I think he was really good at upcoaching average players to be above average. I think Gill can get better athletes to KU. The question is can he coach them. His head coaching record is not spectacular although it is tough to judge it while only being at Buffalo.

But there is no doubt that the guy is first class. What do you all think....Especially you antiochba since you are such a Husker?

Post Thanks / Like

I am kind luke warm about the hire, give him a couple of years to see what he can do. The one thing that I like from the get go is the 2 coordenators he hired that will go a long way in getting the team up and going. I do believe that he will be able to get into alot more recruits homes than Mangino was able to get into.

Post Thanks / Like

I like what I see, time will tell. All he has to do is to have a team that can beat Kansas State and Missouri and he be in good standings with the alumna.

Post Thanks / Like

AUBURN interviewed Gill last year for the HC job. I'm sure glad Chizik was selected. I'm not saying that Gill won't be a good HC for KU. I just don't think he would have been a good fit for AUBURN. Either way, he is better than what you had. As long as he surrounds himself with good coaches, he will be fine. I agree with what you other posters have said......he will be a good recruiter for you. Good luck.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

Yesterday in the KC Star there was anarticle about Tommy Tuberville trying to insert himself into the KU search.

I think Auburn/Chizik put up a pretty good fight against Bama.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psilvers View Post
    Bob,

Yesterday in the KC Star there was anarticle about Tommy Tuberville trying to insert himself into the KU search.

I think Auburn/Chizik put up a pretty good fight against Bama.

Pete
    Rumor was that Tubbs was interviewed. I like TT as a coach but his recruiting sucked his last few years at AUBURN. I wish him much luck. He will make someone a very good head coach.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno. That record at Buffalo is a concern. I know its not a great school to recruit to but for the most part he only had to compete with MAC teams. Good players will follow a good coach. Just looks like most of his sucess was years ago on the field as a player. Can he compete with coaches like Stoops, Brown, Leach in a couple years? Doubt it. What about Pinkel, Polini, or Snyder in the north? Sorta doubt that too. Not until his 3rd year anyway. I know the caliber of the man is excellent but I hope for a quick recovery. Good luck Coach Gill

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an Auburn fan and you guys did not want Tuberville. I think he's a good man and I liked a lot of the stuff he did at Auburn, but he got lazy after 2004. His agent is a dirtbag who is a pro at extorting money from universities at the end of the season. Somehow all of his clients names get in the mix for head coaching vacancies at the end of the season sort of like Houston Nutt and the Kansas job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley View Post
    I'm an Auburn fan and you guys did not want Tuberville. I think he's a good man and I liked a lot of the stuff he did at Auburn, but he got lazy after 2004. His agent is a dirtbag who is a pro at extorting money from universities at the end of the season. Somehow all of his clients names get in the mix for head coaching vacancies at the end of the season sort of like Houston Nutt and the Kansas job.
    Yeah, Sexton is a rat!! Chiz had to fire him as his agent before AUBURN would hire him. It was stipulated in the offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chadku View Post
    I just watched his press conference and I have to say that I feel 100% better than I did when this news broke over the weekend. I was not a Harbaugh guy as I think he would have been gone after next season to Michigan or the NFL. But I was pulling for Skip Holtz or Tubberville.

But after listening to this I have no doubt that we will be able to recruit better players to KU. As I watched I thought about Gill and Mangino walking into my living room to try and get me to come to KU. No doubt that Gill is going to win most of those in my opinion. I really think Mangino's physcial presence started hurting KU. I was a big Mangino fan and did not think he should have been let go, but I think he was really good at upcoaching average players to be above average. I think Gill can get better athletes to KU. The question is can he coach them. His head coaching record is not spectacular although it is tough to judge it while only being at Buffalo.

But there is no doubt that the guy is first class. What do you all think....Especially you antiochba since you are such a Husker?
    I think Turner is a class act. Not that sure about his coaching ability. It sounds like he as assembled some former head coaches to fill the coordinator slots. I fear he will be a formidable recruiter in Texas. I wish him well every Saturday except for the one where KU plays his Alma mater
    Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast