Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville adopt a boat ramp for winter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville adopt a boat ramp for winter

I called the Park's Department this morning to talk to them about salting the ramps. They said they contract to the county to take care of the ramps and lots (plow and salt). But due to budget shortfalls, they can't clean and salt them as they did in the past. I asked the guy that I spoke with if they care if I threw down some rock salt down, and he didn't. So this morning I threw 100 lbs of salt on the east ramp at the Little Platte. I hope this will be enough for me to go fishing this afternoon.

I know there are others on here that like to hit the lake all year long. This will be my first time to try the winter fishing at Smithville. I plan on going as long at the weather and conditions are tolerable. Since the Park's Dept doesn't have the funds to salt the ramps properly, I wanted to see if we pick a ramp to salt ourselves. What I was thinking is we all agree on a ramp to put out at and when snow or ice builds up, let the County clean and salt initially, then we throw down a little salt when we pull out to go home. I plan on keeping a 50lb bag of salt ($6.00 at Lowe's this morning) in the trunk. If there is enough of us doing this, we could have a safe ramp to put in at. What do you guys think?
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

For the cost of boat and parking permits, I would think they could have heated ramps!
    But to answer your question it is a good idea. W ramp not cleaned yesterday, now I know why. Will put bucket of salt in truck. Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieBen View Post
    For the cost of boat and parking permits, I would think they could have heated ramps!
    But to answer your question it is a good idea. W ramp not cleaned yesterday, now I know why. Will put bucket of salt in truck. Ben
    Ben, I know how you feel about the fees. I think Smithville/Corp/Park's Dept has not done a very good job in marketing the lake or putting more attractions to draw more people which would reduce the cost. There should be reduced car fees to draw more camping/foot traffic/bank fishing/or leisure visitors.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try to use one that does not face north. I think the one on the left at crow's creek faces west which might be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

always,always, keep your winter gear up to date, remember my post, salt and dicer on the must list,

Post Thanks / Like

Alex, that is a great gesture on your part to salt the ramps you use, it makes it possible for others to use it too. I can understand why the government can't go to that extent to keep the ramps open all year around for a few of us nuts that will use them (I am one of those nuts)
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

I think sticker shock is starting to cut into traffic at the lake. Last year was a really big
    raise. It is Clay County not COE from what I hear.

Post Thanks / Like

just remember everyone should take there own dicer, most of the dicer washes into the water with every trailer that pulls out,

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding of the fees for smithville lake and all the jackson county lakes it that they have to pay to COE for those lakes, so a good part of the fees pay the contracts on the lakes.

If this is true, then the majority of the money probably goes to the coe and maybe there is a county budget for maintenance?

If you are salting the ramp and people notice, maybe it'll catch on. If nothing else, You are going to be able to go fishing, whice is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Beagle said, good practice when loading or unloading when someone has put out salt is pause and let your trailer run water before you head up and out. Only takes about a minute and you don't string water up the ramp that can freeze and hurt the next guy putting in or out.
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast