Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Styrofoam Linner for 5 gal Bucket?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Styrofoam Linner for 5 gal Bucket?

I have access to lots of free 5 gal plastic buckets (with lids). Yes, they are handy for lots of things. I sometimes use one for a minnow bucket. Are there any inexpensive, styrofoam inserts available to put inside a common size, 5 gal bucket? The insulation should help keep the minnows live longer. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, for how to make a cheap, insulated minnow bucket with a 5 gal plastic bucket as the main ingredient?

If anyone lives near Independence, Missouri, the Price Chopper grocery store at 23rd St. and 291 highway, gives away the buckets, just for the asking. Tuesday seems to be the best day to ask. They used to hold frosting, pie filling, etc. They even clean the buckets before they give them to you. Pretty good for free.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I use a regular styrofoam minnow bucket and set it down inside of a 5 gallon bucket. I hang my aerator on the side and run an air tube with a stone through the top of the styrofoam lid, and i hang a cloth bag with extra batteries on the otherside of the aeroator for balance. Works great. I also have an electric aerator for an aquarium I use so I can buy minnows the night before or keep leftovers for the next trip, just plug it in a let it run all night
    Last edited by fishinRod; 12-09-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

My local baitshop has a styrofoam bucket that is made to fit in a 5 gal. bucket. It has a lid, but I throw it away. You can get a lid for the 5 gal. bucket that has a flip up lid and places to hang an aerator. I've found the lids at BPS and sometimes walmart. I believe BPS also has the styrofoam buckets. This is the best minnow bucket, very durable and holds lots of minnows, with an aerator, even the opressive heat of summer in the deep south is no problem.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

what fishrod and feelay said,

you can also use the pink insulation they put on houses, just measure cut and glue it to the inside of the bucket,

Post Thanks / Like

Cliffcrappie,
    Have you thought of putting one bucket inside the other one cutting the inside bucket down below the lip and drilling some holes around the outside bucket and filling the space between the 2 buckets with low expanding foam in a can?
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are store bought inserts available at BPS and Gander, etc. Regular tapered foam minnow bucket fit in mine and doesn't have quite the volume but works fine.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

ifish, you may be on to something there. but instead of puttin a 5gal bucket inside of another, get a smaller plastic bucket that will fit down inside a 5 gal with enough space between them to fill with expanding foam. Jazz it up with a flip lid like feelay said, maybe even rig up some kind of belt with nylon pockets or a fanny pack to wrap around it and a bank fisherman could eleminate a tackle box to carry and even have something to sit on.
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Grizzly Jig Co. Has The Styrofoam Liners,
    Good Company.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one of the 5 gal insulated water jugs that contractors use. I drilled a hole in the lid for my aerator hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on Grizzley jig.com I have 2 of theirs. They work great. Great company to deal with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast