Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Going out of business

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going out of business

Just a FYI for you St. Louis fishermen. Gateway Outfitters in St. Peters is going out of business and all fishing tackle is 50% off. I went to the store at lunch and while there are still a fair number of items (for all species) the selection is getting a little thin. They also have clothing, hunting and camping equipment on sale (I don't know what the discount % is on non-fishing stuff). The store hours are 11am-7pm Mon-Sat. I hope this link for the address works.

3808 West Clay St, Saint Charles, MO 63301 - Google Maps

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to hear of tackle stores going out of business. I guess it's true what they keep telling us........there are fewer and fewer fishermen.

Take a kid fishing!!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    I hate to hear of tackle stores going out of business. I guess it's true what they keep telling us........there are fewer and fewer fishermen.

Take a kid fishing!!
    Nope, not it at all. A one off store is not going to compete with big chains like Bass Pro and Cabelas in the same vicinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a kid fishing just in case then!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

A store like that has to make a very good impression on their customers in the form of excellent service in order to compete with the big stores. Sadly, they did not supply that to customers, in my experience, when i visited their location. Their sales staff would stand and BS with their friends while people are looking for help with their behind the counter stuff as well as anything else on the floor.

I'll take the Bullseye Tackle shop in O'Fallon over Gateway. They will actually speak to people and offer their help.

Post Thanks / Like

I never had much cause to need counter help so I can't say that was something I ever noticed. I liked going there because on most things they were cheaper than Bass Pro or Cabelas. They had a preferred customer card that gave you 5% off at the register, you didn't have to accumulate points or anything. They didn't have the selection Bass Pro or Cabelas had, but they had quite a bit of stuff. I've never been to the store you mentioned in O'Fallon. I will have to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

i too hate to see any kind of fishing/hunting store go out of business, unless i went there and they made me mad multiple times, which has never been a problem for me personally.

but capitalism does work. problem is with the big stores is that often when they have all the products i want, they don't always care about offering the service that my $ deserves.

i try to get the stuff that i use at smaller stores such as Tightwad C store and Everharts, and then go to the big stores for anything else...
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

When this store was Dunn's it was a lot better place.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion