Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: SW Florida Crappie????

Jay Guest

Default SW Florida Crappie????

I am in the FT. Myers area, and new to Florida, from the Chicago area. Can anyone tell me if there are any waters close by to fish for Crappie.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see the Huricane didn't blow you away. I used to live in Naples and Bass fished Lake Trafford In Immokalee in collier cty. You may want check it out. They have a bait shop and rent boats as well, they should be able to answer your questions if you give them a call.

Beagler

Jay Guest

Thanks Beagler, I will give it a shot, and let ya know what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump. What were the results on Lake Trafford?
    "The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself any fishing gear!"

Jay Guest

I did some checking and have heard that the lake suffered some pretty big fish kills last year, so I did not go, I have relatives that live in Winter Haven, so I am planning on going there in a few weeks, besides the Snook and Reds have been keeping us pretty busy here.

Jay Guest

Well, made the trip to Lake Trafford on Sunday, Looks like a nice lake, pretty big, but almost no one out there, actually only saw 3 boats all day.
    We caught some Crappie and a few LMB, but nothing to write home about. Bait shop there was POOR to say the least, guy was not very friendly and the bait was of poor quality, also not real good about giving out any info as to where to fish. Between me and the 2 kids we caught maybe 18 crappie, biggest being about 11 inches, some on Minnows, others on a small jig with a tail. I have to tell ya the area is pretty depressed, actually kind of nervous driving to the Lake, lots of Damage there from Wima still, mobile homes flipped over, crap all over the place.
    Back in a couple more weeks to try again, until then I will play in the saltwater!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE= Bait shop there was POOR to say the least, guy was not very friendly and the bait was of poor quality, also not real good about giving out any info as to where to fish. [/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your poor experience.The original owner"Ski" passed away a few years ago,I think,but his wife is still there.I have nothing but good times everytime I've been.We always take the g-kids when we are in the area.Bank bound,so no crappie,but have a blast with the catfish.Also considered a trash fish,but its fun to catch the dogfish up to 10 pounds,they put up a tussle,just don't kiss them when you release them.
    Attached Images Attached Images