Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remmington 700 30.06

Post Thanks / Like

Default Remmington 700 30.06

Just wondering if anyone has this gun? if they can let me know what they think of it also the age of theirs if they do have one. i just purchased one love the way the gun shoots not fond of the bolt action. it sticks a lot even after 2 boxes being shot through it. Please let me know your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you shooting reloaded ammo or store bought. Is it sticking when opening ,closing or both? Billy
    Last edited by Billy; 10-08-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Rem 700 also in .30-06. I agree that the bolt is not the smoothest around. I got mine prolly 4 years ago and I've run a lot of shells through it and it is still a little sticky opening an closing the bolt. Never really pay much attention to it though long as it keeps shooting as well as it does.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

I have shot a number of 700's over the years, the older ones are much smoother than the new ones. What's sticking? opening the bolt, closing the bolt, fired case extraction? reloads? factory? My last one needs some action lube on the back of the locking lugs once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

I now the 700 very well. It is one of the best actions around. For the money it is the best. The old triggers was one of the best around. I dislike the new triggers. Remington has mod. the trigger so that it cant be adjusted below 2 or 3 lbs. The old style could be adjusted to 2oz. It took some work but it could be done. The Jewell trigger is hi end but worth the money. like all production guns the 700 needs some work to accurize. I do a lot of accurizing and the 700 is the one that I will guarantee to improve the accuracy. In most cases I can get 1/2 to 1 min. of angle. I just finished one that couldnt be held in a pie plate at a hundred yds. When it left my shop it was .75 in group. that was with min. work. square the action and a target crown and it will shoot 1/4 in. this is not poo, its fact. I have a winchester that will shoot 1/4 in but it took much more work than the 700. These are facts as I know them. Now for the rest of the story. The US army marksman team shoots the 700. The Army snipers shoot the 700 and there life depends on it. You cant ask for a better testimonial. As for the sticking bolt , that is abnormal. I would have to put hands on to find out what the problem is. I can tell you for sure that it is uncommon. I would suggest that you take a serious look at your ammo. If you have over loaded your ammo you can create that sticking problem. I would suggest that you let a bonified gunsmith look at the gun, or send it back to remington. I have a friend that loaded one so hot he broke the bolt handle off and remington replaced it at no charge. If you have anymore questions about the 700 please feel free to PM me. Not just the 700 . Any of the other inferior rifles. To leave you with just one note, i wouldnt own a 30-06 in any brand or model. Sample GUN!

Post Thanks / Like

OK foul hook whats wrong with the 30-06?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't load my own at all. I am using a springfield 30.06 150 grain shell. by remington. The gun shoots outstanding. It is dead on at 100 yards I can put 5 shots within an inch to inch and half. I feel that is a pretty good cluster. However the bolt sticks when you get the lever to the top and go to pull it back, almost like it is stuck but you can wiggle it and comes right back then wiggle it to close it so not the same spot. i have now fired 4 boxes through this gun and plan to fire a lot more this weekend getting use to it. the bolt is loosening up a little but I am wondering if that is because I am wearing it in. GREAT GUN though. I wouldn't think of getting ride of it for a sticky bolt. I can get use to that.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if y'all grease the workings of the bolt, and the slides that it rides in. Most I see are pretty dry.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Saline Lake Jigs, I am wondering if you installed a scope yourself? Sometimes the screws that hold the scope bases on the action are too long and protrude through the top of the action and bind the bolt. You might pull the bolt and reach up into the top of the action where the scope mounts set and see if you can feel the screws, this would be inside the action in the bolt race. Kind of hard to do but usually I do this when I am installing new bases on a rifle before I put the scope on the mounts. Hope this makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about the sticking bolts. Loosen the the front action screw. If it is too long it will bind the bolt up. If that frees it up just shorten it up about a thread. give it a try and let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast