Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long lining....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining....

Hey yall. I was wanting to figure out how to lone line troll this fall and was wondering if the setup I have would work. Ive never tried longlineing but have spider rigged w/ success this spring. Also, I use 11 ft rods for spider rigging but was wondering whether to use short 6 ft rods for this kind of fishing, because I have them also. I have it setup so I can use either the big motor or the trolling motor but its looks like longlineing is a two man job if you use the trolling motor because the rods are further away, or ur faster than jack flash to catch a bite. I prob need a trolling plate to. Here is a pic of my setup. Any advice.Im gonna research about but nothing is like advice from people that know how to do it well.

Thanks,
    Slabber
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

ekyslabber, I longline most of the time. Iuse my trolling motor, easier to control your speed that way. I would recommend moving some of them rod holders to the front if thats where your motor is. Also turn them holders down so your rod tips are either in the water:D or just above the waterline.
    I use only sickle hooks on 1/32 and 1/16 jigs. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

You will need a MINN KOTA AUTO PILOT TO DO ANY SERIOUS TROLLING. They are not cheap but worth every penny. I fish two 16 ft, two 14 ft and two twelve ft poles out of the sides up at the front of my boat. We also troll six assorted size rods out of the back of he boat. It can get real interesting when the bite is on or if you get hung up. PM me your email if you want some pictures of my setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Y,

They move to the bow for sp rigging. I guess I just need to leave them up front and turn them out sideways from the bow and tilt them down more til The tips are close or in. Thanks man. And I sent ya a pm Earl.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ekySlabber; 09-16-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the point of having the tips close to the water line exactly? I've noticed most do, but I can't figure out what the advantage is.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    What is the point of having the tips close to the water line exactly? I've noticed most do, but I can't figure out what the advantage is.

Wannabe...
    It minimizes the effect the wind has on the poles, and , I think it's easier to detect a bite.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

OK.....hmmm....I guess I can see that bite detection as at least a preference thing, but I still don't get the minimizing the effects of the wind. Move the boat up and down lets say 10" from a passing wave and the jig is basically going to move up and down 10" no matter if the pole is right at the water line or 2' above it. Unless you're allowing your rods to hit the water on the down stroke, which would slow the down stroke and maybe prevent a couple inches of travel. Still don't get it, but then, I seldom do the first couple dozen times.

Next LL question (2) - what are you pulling and how is it rigged? 2 jigs? Tied how? Do you prefer paddle tails, or curly? Minnows too or just plain jigs?

Do you find this is a better technique for a certain minimum water clarity? Or a certain time of the year?

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Want me to 'plain it to ya WB?

Purty easy. Faster you go, shallower the bait goes. SEE, real easy. LOL
    Seriously and this os MY TAKE on it. 1/16 to 1/32 oz jigs and cast out as far as you can, say, 30-50 feet. Find drops, grass and brush and troll over them. From .4 to about 1 MPH is about the speed you run with .6-.8 the norm but it's still depending on the depth you want the bait to run. Learn the depth by trolling over ridges that you know how deep they are and see how slow you're going when you bump the bottom. From what I've read LIGHT LINE is where it's at 4 lb test or so. I'm gonna set mine rods with braid equuil of 4 lb test which should be about 12 lb braid. Been doing some reading up on this the last couple weeks bud
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonDon View Post
    Purty easy. Faster you go, shallower the bait goes. SEE, real easy. LOL
    Seriously and this os MY TAKE on it. 1/16 to 1/32 oz jigs and cast out as far as you can, say, 30-50 feet. Find drops, grass and brush and troll over them. From .4 to about 1 MPH is about the speed you run with .6-.8 the norm but it's still depending on the depth you want the bait to run. Learn the depth by trolling over ridges that you know how deep they are and see how slow you're going when you bump the bottom. From what I've read LIGHT LINE is where it's at 4 lb test or so. I'm gonna set mine rods with braid equuil of 4 lb test which should be about 12 lb braid. Been doing some reading up on this the last couple weeks bud
    DD the braid does work.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on using 4lb mono or 6/2 fireline, which ever is better for trolling. Also, like WB said, what rigs to yall have the best success with. Say fall season for example. I also heard that the book "Precision Trolling" is a must if ya wanna get good at this and get ur depth and speeds right. I wanna try jigs, live bait, and have pushed cranks before but thing pullin' em might be better in open water. Also, how to yall weight it usually, split shots, eggsinkers, bullet weights, or just heavier jig heads.... Thanks for the insight fellas. Gonna try it real soon on Cave Run and later this fall/winter on Ky/Barkley.

Slabber

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast