Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod tip frustration

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod tip frustration

Can anyone suggest a good rod tip for 10' rods? I can't seem to get a rod to the lake before it brakes! Just moving the rods around my garage. Would like to get a good tip without breaking the bank.

Darin
    Keep some for the pan, let the larger ones go back for another day!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help on the tip but get some 3-4' PVC pipe cut to a little longer than whatever length your longest rod half is, put a seal cap on one end, a screw cap on the other and no more broken rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Try mudhole.com. They have great prices and selections.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the best rod tip is the one that came with the rod.
    Now if you need top guide (tops) I get mine at jann's netcraft dot com
    request their catalog.

Post Thanks / Like

Every rod I have in the boat has been repaired. I have started using Gorrila glue instead of that melting glue. It is not instant, but, I have had better success of it staying put. That stuff is almost as good as duct tape around my house.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappyman View Post
    Can anyone suggest a good rod tip for 10' rods? I can't seem to get a rod to the lake before it brakes! Just moving the rods around my garage. Would like to get a good tip without breaking the bank.

Darin
    Be sure your rods are tied down good during your drive to the lake...

I have found that the rod tips beating against each other in the wind during the 60-70 mph drive to the lake is very hard on rod tips....

I have my rods strapped down at the handle and close to the tip with velcro straps....I haven't had a broken tip in years since...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    I have my rods strapped down at the handle and close to the tip with velcro straps....

Same here. Don't leave home without it.

Also, something that is common in other countries but hardly ever seen in the US is "fishing luggage". These are usually long padded bags (similar to golf bags) for carrying rods. A lot of the carp guys I know use them.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Look around for a supplier, but I use Fuji hardloy guides and tips and have had great success with em for lots of years. When you find a supplier, buy some you don't need right away. Smaller and bigger then the ones you're after. I keep a bag with extras and my tips don't stay broken long. Fly rod tips work well on the poles I use, but the bigger ones are fine too. Mudhole bought out our local guy, and I've never dealt with them but have heard good stuff about them.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Skeetbum, would that be Bob McKamey. I got to go to his Duck River gathering this year, what an eye opener for rod builders. Had a great time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Our local shop was in Shelbyville, Something tackle and supply. I know where it is and didn't pay much attention to the name. He really knew his stuff and carried everything a man could ask for, It's a sad day to see him go. Another falls to the tough economy. I loved the rods he made, quality was tops but I just don't spend that kind of bucks on my rods. Too cheap I guess. My eyes don't like me doing that small work anymore.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast