09-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I am so glad I found this site and for good reason. I just dropped membership
from another site I used to belong to this morning. I shared some thoughts I
had about my goals and aspirations as a tournament crappie angler and was
hoping for words of encouragement,but instead,it was met with scoffing and
total lack of respect from guys who I THOUGHT were fishing buddies. I will
admit that I have lots to learn,...I will not deny that,...what I DO NOT need
is the lack of respect and scoffing from guys who actually should share words
of encouragement and give tips on what to do and what NOT to do in a tournament setting. Kidding around is one thing,but showing total lack of respect and scoffing at another's dreams,goals,and aspirations with comments
that had absolutely nothing to do with fishing is another. I hope that this does not happen on this site. Maybe this may be a bit too personal,but I just wanted to share this with you all with the hope that I will receive encouraging words
to pursue the goals,dreams,and aspirations I have as a tournament crappie angler.

Yodibuzz
09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey Lundman,

Welcome to the site. I used to live up your way just a few minutes from mississinewa
and salamonie res. Loved crappie fishin there. Anyway good luck with your tournament fishin and i think you will like this sight , lots of tournament talk.

Papa Dawg
09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
There is a place on Crappie.com that you can order tshirts and one of them says "I have a Crappie Attidtude". I ordered some of these to give away to my closest friends and fishing partners. I thought they were comical but unfortunately some crappie fishermen do have a crappie attitude but most I have met are good natured and enjoy getting out on the lake, having fun and catching a few fish at the same time. Sometimes my attitude ain't the best but my closer friends can straighten me out in a friendly way. Have fun and good luck. I think you will enjoy this site.

skeetbum
09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Lundman, welcome to the site. This site is definitely the fast track to getting your questions answered and learning the productive techniques you seem to be looking for. But human nature is here as much as anywhere else. Good luck in your quest, tight lines.

sparky197
09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Alot Of Us On Here Are Tournament Anglers. If You Have Specific Questions, Send Us A Pm. Look At My Post On The Missouri Board, Titled Midwest Tourney. Lend Your Opinions And Welcome To The Board.

STUMP HUNTER
09-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Welcome to crappie.com from S.C.:)

Pomoxis
09-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Welcome to CDC from SC :)

You'll find folks like that all over the internet because they mistakenly think it's anonymous. It's not that hard to find anyone if you want to bad enough ;)

Anyway.. welcome :)

JET4
09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Welcome from Va.

DKR
09-07-2009, 12:22 PM
welcome

pwbuilding
09-07-2009, 12:52 PM
welcome aboard. i don't fish tournaments but do catch alot of crappie. hope
you find the friendship you are looking for on this site. we have a great bunch of guys & gals willing to share info on crappie fishing. we also clown around alot.:p

gabowman
09-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the boards.:)

Hillbilly910
09-07-2009, 01:45 PM
welcome.
I too am a tournament angler, just getting started into the crappie tournaments, taking the hard knocks as they come.
Other than some folks on here who have nothing good to say about any kind of tournament angler, crappie or otherwise, you shouldnt run into any nay sayers.

HB:cool:

Cane Pole
09-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I used to be a tournament angler. Never caught a tournament. I am now a pleasure angler and I fill the boat.:)

Remember this:

"Those who wish to sing, always find a song".

Good luck.

Fatman
09-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Lund

First Welcome aboard from Vermont!!!!!!!! Don't know much about tournament fishing but that's a pretty nasty way to get treated expecially by guys you know and fish with.

Again Welcome

Fatman

thankfull
09-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Welcome from N/W Georgia.

Lundman A-14
09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Lund

First Welcome aboard from Vermont!!!!!!!! Don't know much about tournament fishing but that's a pretty nasty way to get treated expecially by guys you know and fish with.

Again Welcome

Fatman

Glad you said that,and I will tell you why. I just came off that other site I now
am no longer a part of,and man the disrespect I was shown and the way they
treated me like a piece of crap. I have never fished a tournament either,but
would like to try it. One guy,in a way,pretty much called me a liar and told the others that they are better off without guys like me,along with saying that I did not have those dreams and aspirations to begin with. And,...they got the wild idea that my fishing skills were above theres just because I was
coming over here to gain better information than what I was getting over there. That was so far from the truth,it is not even funny. Well,hey,...enough
of that. Thanks for welcoming me aboard.

Ranger690
09-07-2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.positivethinking247.com/uploaded_images/Positive-thinking-&-the-Blues-785183.jpg

Herewego
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Welcome from East Tennessee.

Blackhawk19
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Welcome from Alabama, good luck with your dreams. Have you checked to see if there's any local Crappie clubs having tourney's around your area that maybe you and a buddy can enter. Start at that level and learn and work your way up, don't give up on your dream because of a few people.

flatfish46
09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Just wanna say Welcome from Texas also you must understand You'll never learn it all there's things that people know they just never tell and there's thing's you might learn You'll never tell,but 99% of the time You'll get the answere here or a real good shot at it!and You won't be scoffed at I myself tournament fished for 15 years finally realized alot of the people in that crowd were to good for Me in Their Mind!

Fishtaco
09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Welcome aboard.

The only person that can tell you if you're doing right or wrong is yourself. Do what you want, follow your dreams and let those that say you can't be proved wrong.

yankee doodler
09-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Pretty good bunch of people with some great advice on this site.

If you want to get into some controversy just go to the OTCrappie forum and bring up politics.

Lundman A-14
09-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Welcome from Alabama, good luck with your dreams. Have you checked to see if there's any local Crappie clubs having tourney's around your area that maybe you and a buddy can enter. Start at that level and learn and work your way up, don't give up on your dream because of a few people.

Come to think of it,... there just might be one close by. I should check into it and as you said,it would be a great level to learn on and start at. Hey,...as they say,...you gotta start somewhere!

skiptomylu
09-08-2009, 09:41 AM
31793 From Toledo Bend Texas!

I once gave a lot to thought to fishing bass tournaments when I was guiding (Bass) way back in the late 1970's, but back then it was not near as big as it is today (money is way different now) so I went another direction. So if that is what you want to do I say go for it and if you don't win at first it will be a learning experience and maybe set you up to win down the road a bit.

Good luck,
Skip

2yrsnluvinit
09-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I have been one here for a short while and i have met some really nice and knowiedgable fishermen and women on this site they have help me to pass on some very well used tips to several of the people i fish with, as a matter of fact my brother went out with me this past weekend and he had never crappie fished before and with the information that i used to catch fish was all the information i received on this site and he thinks im the greatest crappie fisherman ever but i told him that i couldn't take the credit for the information and told him about this site, so welcome aboard and good luck.

Lundman A-14
09-08-2009, 09:53 AM
31793 From Toledo Bend Texas!

I once gave a lot to thought to fishing bass tournaments when I was guiding (Bass) way back in the late 1970's, but back then it was not near as big as it is today (money is way different now) so I went another direction. So if that is what you want to do I say go for it and if you don't win at first it will be a learning experience and maybe set you up to win down the road a bit.

Good luck,
Skip

Great point there and may I add,...great advice for a 'beginning' tournament angler shall we say! My question for you would be this;When you were fishing
tournaments,how did you go about preparing for any such tournament? Did
you have a system you followed that was comfortable for you such as how you set up your rods,reels,boat,lures,etc?

Eager Beaver
09-08-2009, 10:44 AM
It really isn't about the equipment, but it is the knowledge that you have experienced. Time on the water with someone that has a lot of knowledge about how to fish under certain conditions, and has a lot of knowledge about the equipment and how to use and improve it. You need to learn how to read a lake map and interput what it is telling you. There is a lot of new fancy toy's out there that you can use to shortcut some of the process. Learn the basics of the quarry that you are after and you will be farther ahead of the game. You don't just fish a tourneyment and then wait for the next one. You have to be on the water in all kinds of weather and under all kinds of conditions to see how the fish will react under various conditions. You need to know all the different kinds of casting, trolling, jigging, dock shooting, spiderigging and be proficiant at all techniques. You need to know how to handle a boat to make a perfect presentation of your offering. You need to know how to use the wind to your advantage.
This isn't to discourage you but to let you be a little more aware of what you will have ahead of you in your endevere. There are a lot of Tounament fishermen and women on this site that have never won a tournament or even placed in one. Having a lot of self confidence is one thing but having the correct knowledge will take you a lot farther. I suspect this is what the members on the other board were trying to let you know you had ahead of you in tournament fishing. You need to have some sponsors and to get them you have to accomplish something that sets you apart from everyone else. Such as winning local tournaments or placing high in several.
Hope that you don't take this post as a negative response but one meant to inform you what you have to look forward to if you go for it. What is your age if you don't mind my asking? EB

bttmline
09-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Welcome Lundy, you are welcome here and we wish you the best in your tournament adventures.

tholmes
09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Good luck! Everyone should have a dream to follow.

Know what the best way to make a small fortune as a tournament fisherman?

Start out with a large fortune!

just kidding:p

Tom

rico
09-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Welcome Lund!!!!!! I am a guy that knows a thing or two about crappie in my area that aint to far away from you. ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/underdog61267/new2.jpg

Lundman A-14
09-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Welcome Lund!!!!!! I am a guy that knows a thing or two about crappie in my area that aint to far away from you. ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/underdog61267/new2.jpg

Those are nice crappies,...love to hook into some of those!

Lundman A-14
09-08-2009, 04:23 PM
It really isn't about the equipment, but it is the knowledge that you have experienced. Time on the water with someone that has a lot of knowledge about how to fish under certain conditions, and has a lot of knowledge about the equipment and how to use and improve it. You need to learn how to read a lake map and interput what it is telling you. There is a lot of new fancy toy's out there that you can use to shortcut some of the process. Learn the basics of the quarry that you are after and you will be farther ahead of the game. You don't just fish a tourneyment and then wait for the next one. You have to be on the water in all kinds of weather and under all kinds of conditions to see how the fish will react under various conditions. You need to know all the different kinds of casting, trolling, jigging, dock shooting, spiderigging and be proficiant at all techniques. You need to know how to handle a boat to make a perfect presentation of your offering. You need to know how to use the wind to your advantage.
This isn't to discourage you but to let you be a little more aware of what you will have ahead of you in your endevere. There are a lot of Tounament fishermen and women on this site that have never won a tournament or even placed in one. Having a lot of self confidence is one thing but having the correct knowledge will take you a lot farther. I suspect this is what the members on the other board were trying to let you know you had ahead of you in tournament fishing. You need to have some sponsors and to get them you have to accomplish something that sets you apart from everyone else. Such as winning local tournaments or placing high in several.
Hope that you don't take this post as a negative response but one meant to inform you what you have to look forward to if you go for it. What is your age if you don't mind my asking? EB

Wow,...that sounds like alot to learn,...but as you said,...don't let this discourage me from tournament fishing. Well,...it hasn't and it won't.
These are things that I have been wanting to learn for a long time ,but just not have found anyone patient enough to take the time to show me these things. I can do some pitching to docks,but with a bobber rig and live bait.
Have not done it with artificials yet. I have to admit that I am somewhat old fashioned in my approach to fishing in a boat,...I do not own a bass boat,...just a little 14 ft. utility-v bottom with an 18 HP outboard,...no
trolling motor or electronics,either. I use open faced spinning reels wound
with 6 lb. test line for all my crappie fishing situations. I have fished with live bait for years,but nowdays,live bait is getting expensive to use anymore,...especially minnows. I end up wasting half of them. I feel that it is time to move up and learn to use the artificial lures such as Blakemoore Road Runner spinner bait type lures and such. One other member here suggested
looking into local crappie fishing organizations to get a feel for tournament
style fishing and to learn the ropes that way. May not be a bad idea for me
to look into that. I am 45 years old by the way.

Eager Beaver
09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
One week-end with a pro can teach you more than you can imagine. Amatuer anglers always says they learned so much from the back of the boat fishing with a pro or even a guide for that matter. I thought I knew a lot about fishing until I started fishing with one of my mentors and realized that I really didn't know as much as I thought I did. Patients is a good teacher also. If you try a jig or lure stick with it until you know what it is doing all the time it is in the water. Good Luck and have fun with your fishing! EB

guest01
09-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Welcome from GA, you will learn something new everyday with these guys and gals.:D You will also find some lifelong friends on here...Good Fishing To You......

skeetbum
09-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Great point there and may I add,...great advice for a 'beginning' tournament angler shall we say! My question for you would be this;When you were fishing
tournaments,how did you go about preparing for any such tournament? Did
you have a system you followed that was comfortable for you such as how you set up your rods,reels,boat,lures,etc?

I have only fished a few tourneys, and luckily did well. Regardless, as you say preparation is key to success. Tackle, boat,directions to ramp, tourney rules, and so on prepare the physical aspects of what's ahead. This leaves out the most important item. Your mind. I rubbed elbows with some very good Skeet shooters in a past life, some of them world class. All agreed that competition is 10% mechanics and 90% mental. You will catch as many fish the night before a tourney as you will the day of. If you don't have a plan, where do you start? I wish you good fortune in answering your questions and following your dreams. Keep us posted, we're interested in the outcome - good or bad. Keep in mind that competing is not for every one.

wannabe fisherman
09-09-2009, 05:36 AM
I am so glad I found this site and for good reason. I just dropped membership
from another site I used to belong to this morning. I shared some thoughts I
had about my goals and aspirations as a tournament crappie angler and was
hoping for words of encouragement,but instead,it was met with scoffing and
total lack of respect from guys who I THOUGHT were fishing buddies. I will
admit that I have lots to learn,...I will not deny that,...what I DO NOT need
is the lack of respect and scoffing from guys who actually should share words
of encouragement and give tips on what to do and what NOT to do in a tournament setting. Kidding around is one thing,but showing total lack of respect and scoffing at another's dreams,goals,and aspirations with comments
that had absolutely nothing to do with fishing is another. I hope that this does not happen on this site. Maybe this may be a bit too personal,but I just wanted to share this with you all with the hope that I will receive encouraging words
to pursue the goals,dreams,and aspirations I have as a tournament crappie angler.

Welcome to a friendlier group. I'll bet that was a bass forum you left. I was on one for about a month asked a couple of questions and never got a straight answer form anyone so figured it was time to move on.

Lundman A-14
09-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Welcome to a friendlier group. I'll bet that was a bass forum you left. I was on one for about a month asked a couple of questions and never got a straight answer form anyone so figured it was time to move on.

It wasn't just a bass forum,...they covered all species of fish. It is just too bad
that I did not get the words of encouragement I was hoping for. Talk about not getting a straight answer to a question,...the board I came from was that way
alot of times,...but not all the time.

Cane Pole
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Look inside first.

jeepguyjames
09-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Lundman , dont sweat em, the world is full of knuckle heads, i had 3 guys that i work with read my post and make fun of me for being on here, asking questions, thanking everyone for their help, and always saying God bless. i guess the fact i want to be a better fisherman, that im thankful to the guys on here who answer my questions, and my belife in God is funny, but its what ever, dont allow it to get to you. and GOD BLESS....even my "friends" at work

09-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Lund, I personally wish you the best of luck ! Doesnt matterwhat your fishing for, just have fun doing it !!
sam

Hanr3
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Lund,

Welcome to the site.
Lots of great guys and gals around here.

drfish
09-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the site from another Hoosier. You will enjoy being on this site great group of people.:D

slimeyslab
09-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Welcome!!!

Big Crappie 2
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
WELCOME FROM THE TARHEEL STATE!!!

SMILES
09-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Welcome aboard