PDA

View Full Version : Surfice Crappie.

Ken Jones
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I want honest answers to this question. Guys and Gals how many of you have caught Surficing Crappie? What did you use to catch them on? I never have.

redear
09-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I never could get them to bite, and I think they are feeding on insect larvae just under the surface.

The Lip RIPPERS
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Rare to see them feed this way and darn tough to catch! I want to try fly rod setup and see what happens?

Mean Green 2
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I have caught them on a fly when fishing for bluegill. Not a lot of them but a few.

Yodibuzz
09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
yeah but only twice. same small natural lake in n. indiana.
they were feeding on fry and i used a small gray marabou jig.
when on surface they loosely school and only dimple the top of the water , not aggressive like whites or bass. all nice sized black crappie. also they were over deep water not on weed lines.

coastal bend
09-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm fishing off a old cement structure that showed up with the drop in the water level of the lake. In the morning when it is calm I see the crappie feeding on the surface. they seem to be feed on small fry. Have never been able to get them to bite. thinking of getting a floating jig and using a small bass assassian shad. I never hardly catch a crappie untill a hour after sun rise and if it is cloudy the bite is slow.A little wind also helps. I noticed that if it stays calm and cloudy they feed on top longer .

yankee doodler
09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I have a nice lake south of here that I do well at for crappie. There is a submerged island with good cover that I can work right before dark and hit the slabs pretty well.

Just about a half hour before dark the gills and sunfish start feeding at the surface. I'll be pushing rods ahead of me and throwing a fly or spider. I will catch the specks below the surface and gills at the top. Can't say I've caught a speck late season on a flyrod.

Now spring is a different story. During the spawn season that's just about the only way I'll fish for them. The specks hit hard like a largemouth bass and the gills will suck it under.

laserdoc
09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Here is a floating jig. If you stick the smallest split shot on it about a foot from the jig ,you will be able to cast it. It will then sink very very slow because of the smallest split shot. Of course the bigger the split shot the faster it will fall. using the smallest split should keep it in that 1 to 2 foot range about about 5 to 10 seconds.
I'm fishing off a old cement structure that showed up with the drop in the water level of the lake. In the morning when it is calm I see the crappie feeding on the surface. they seem to be feed on small fry. Have never been able to get them to bite. thinking of getting a floating jig and using a small bass assassian shad. I never hardly catch a crappie untill a hour after sun rise and if it is cloudy the bite is slow.A little wind also helps. I noticed that if it stays calm and cloudy they feed on top longer .

Chadku
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
small 3" jerkbaits.

JBledsoe
09-04-2009, 09:50 PM

Yes, in about 20 feet of water in Oxbow Reservoir at the Brownlee spillway. It was like they were laying just under the surface waiting for the jig. We had to use a "tight line" cast because the bite came the instant the jig hit the water. Otherwise, the bite was gone before the slack could be taken up. Only happened one time last year but I have heard of others encountering the same thing but I don't know where.

AtticaFish
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
In spring I did well with a brown nymph on my fly rod. Never right on surface, but just under the surface.

Last fall I caught a few throwing a floating rapala while I was fishing at night. Would either just twitch it along or real so slow that it never went under. The crappie were chasing schools minnows right at the surface.

Dogrockit
09-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Try Free-lining a minnow on a hook-nothing else......They will bite!

Ken Jones
09-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Here in Idaho we can't use live Minnows. JBLEDSOE- We caught a hundred small mouth bass there below Brownly Dam in the Oxbow pool. The sad part the bass were around six inches long full of eggs. No wonder the bass population is so thick thier. We caught 10 bass to one crappie. Over night trip.

JusFshn
09-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I want honest answers to this question. Guys and Gals how many of you have caught Surficing Crappie? What did you use to catch them on? I never have.

Try using a cork and a jig.. set your jig between 12" and 18" below the cork and twitch your rod tip a few times then let the jig sit still for a few seconds.. Then repeat with different depths and rhythms.. I found if the fish hit your cork your fishing too deep.. JusFshn

toonman
09-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I have one time and it was a rooster tail.

INGrandad
09-06-2009, 06:22 AM
I have caught them on a fly when fishing for bluegill. Not a lot of them but a few.

A handful of times each year while probing for bluegill up around pads for gills. I use trout patterns for gills, guess those few crappie were just faraging.

JBledsoe
09-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Here in Idaho we can't use live Minnows. JBLEDSOE- We caught a hundred small mouth bass there below Brownly Dam in the Oxbow pool. The sad part the bass were around six inches long full of eggs. No wonder the bass population is so thick thier. We caught 10 bass to one crappie. Over night trip.

Our trips to Oxbow are over night trips, too. It's 110 miles from my house one way so that's 4 to 5 hours to make the trip which cuts into the fishing time.:D

We went to Strike this week. Crappie were hard to find and harder to catch. Two of us (wife and I) caught 23 and one huge bluegill. Bass were hungary and plentiful but most were just under Idaho's 12 minimum.

The crappies were about 25 feet deep in 26 feet of water. Unusual to find them on the bottom in deeper water. The crappie would just softly inhale the jig for a few seconds and then spit it out. No doubt we were getting many bites which we were unaware. Oh well, that's crappie fishing.

Southern Chuter
09-06-2009, 07:27 AM
This spring the crappie were getting ready to spawn and we had a cool front that moved them back to deeper water. They were 1-2 ft deep in 12 fow and biting good.

Ken Jones
09-06-2009, 09:52 AM
JBLEDSOE-I have had know problem finding the slaps atCJ Strike. We catch plenty on every trip. The last few trips out I have been fishing for Kokanee. Its over now will concentrate on crappie. I have been fishing the narrows and catching lots of fish. I have been anchoring in 30 foot of water. Fish the last time out were down 9 foot. Red/white crappie jig tipped with crappie niblets.

hair jig
09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Floating minnow with my fly rod.

Baxter1
09-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Caught some a small popper years ago.This past spring i caught a few on a small floating raplala.My buddy caught 1 a week ago on a small chug bug.