Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color-c-lector

Post Thanks / Like

Question Color-c-lector

I was just wondering if anyone has, or knows much about this gadget?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion its a waste of money unless your fish at the exact same depth all day and there are no cloud in the sky. Another words, it don't take much to change its readings.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine had one of those and a place where I had never caught any fish on a white jig, it said to use white that day in that area. I told him right away that it didnt work cause I never caught fish there on white. Guess what? I was wrong, we caught alot of fish and all them were caught on white, just exactly what it said to use.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Firestick ....

(if you are referring to this one) ->

It's put out (now) by the Spike-it Scent/Dye company ... and is a remake of the (now defunct) Lake Systems version (below)

Essentially what it is/was supposed to do, is indicate what color/colors are most visible to fish - at a given depth - under one of three water clarity conditions.

I've had the Lake System's one since the mid 70's ...... and I still can't tell you if it works (telling me what color to use under the prevailing conditions). I seldom bother with it, anymore ..... relying more on past experiences with tried & true color choices. Then when those stop/don't work - I experiment with colors/combos ... making slight changes, to the totally outrageous extremes. If that don't work ..... I'll resort to live bait. And if that fails, I'll go to the house :D (I've usually spent my whole time, by then, anyway :rolleyes: ) .................. cp

Post Thanks / Like

i bought one them things years ago, when i was young and dumb. seems like it was a hunnert dollars or more. it was one of the circular ones like in the photo above. it dint impress me at all. like a lot of fishing gimmicks, its just a way to get a mans money. thats my opinion of it. i run across it the other day in my storage bldg and was wondering why i spent money on somehting like that.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine had one of the round ones and we used it a few times,it didn't impress me.It never worked as far as I could tell.We never caught fish on any color it said to use. I'd spend my money on something else.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I think I will save my money and maybe by a new pole.

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought one of the old round ones. And I think that thing caught more fishermen than it help catch fish. But the new one is a different story. Russ, Brad, and I were shooting a show down by Pickwick last summer and was really having trouble getting any thing to bite. Did not have a single hit all afternoon. Dropped the color celector probe down to the depth of the baits and it came up with a color no one ever thought about. Put that color on and started catching fish with in seconds. I just got one of the new ones but have not used it yet. When I do start using it, I will post results. Good or bad.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    I also bought one of the old round ones. And I think that thing caught more fishermen than it help catch fish. But the new one is a different story. Russ, Brad, and I were shooting a show down by Pickwick last summer and was really having trouble getting any thing to bite. Did not have a single hit all afternoon. Dropped the color celector probe down to the depth of the baits and it came up with a color no one ever thought about. Put that color on and started catching fish with in seconds. I just got one of the new ones but have not used it yet. When I do start using it, I will post results. Good or bad.
    Thanks weezer, I'll be looking forward to your post about how it turned out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the color combo and believe in it. I don't use it all the time but if I go to a new lake or one that I haven't fished in a while I will pull it out and check for the color. It will give you a place to start anyway. After you fish a lake for awhile the fish will hit the same colors over and over again. 1 lake I fish they want a 1/16th hot pink head with a berkely power grub with chartruese and punkinseed tail. Another they want a chartruese 1/16th head with a white tail and sometimes the opposite white head and chartruese tail. On my favorite lake they don't care for the plastic jigs and mainly want a 1/16th chartruese maribou jig. These patterns don't shy much most of the time, but when they do I feel the color combo will get me back on track with the right color. Like with any tool you have to have confidence in what you are using and how you are using it. If you don't have confidense in it then you won't use it long enough to find out for sure that if it works or not. Just my opinion.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast