Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird Side Imaging Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hummingbird Side Imaging Question

I've got my mind set on purchasing one of the Hummingbird Side Imaging sonars. Right now I'm looking at the 798, with hopes that I can afford the 997. What I wanted to know is, for all of you guys that have the 798, what do you think of it? Is the five inch screen large enough for you to view the images from the Side Imaging? Is the Side Imaging all that it's cracked up to be? The 798 has 4000 watts of peak power, the 997 has 8000 watts. Is the 798's image clear enough that the 8000 watts of the 997 is not really needed? Just wanted to know what you guys thought about your units. Thanks for the help.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Im with u on side images really lookin hard at buyin.Caint help u with any of that stuff but the nerds.net is the cheapiest i found so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 797, and I like it. What you can't do is buy the smaller unit, and think you are going to be able to run it on 150ft each side. Yes you can, but what you'll actually be able to see will be minimal. I normally run mine on 30 ft each side tops. If you run one side only you'll get the best image.

Would I pay an extra grand for the 997, No. I wouldn't want the biggest unit either. I really don't use the SI very much, unless the fishing is very bad. I spend most of my time on the water fishing, so it just doesn't get used that much.

The best use I've found is if I'm trying to get a gps route on a new area and want to know that I'm laying down a safe route, It works very well for that.

Enjoy whatever unit you buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62 View Post
    I've got a 797, and I like it. What you can't do is buy the smaller unit, and think you are going to be able to run it on 150ft each side. Yes you can, but what you'll actually be able to see will be minimal. I normally run mine on 30 ft each side tops. If you run one side only you'll get the best image.

Would I pay an extra grand for the 997, No. I wouldn't want the biggest unit either. I really don't use the SI very much, unless the fishing is very bad. I spend most of my time on the water fishing, so it just doesn't get used that much.

The best use I've found is if I'm trying to get a gps route on a new area and want to know that I'm laying down a safe route, It works very well for that.

Enjoy whatever unit you buy.
    That's an interesting point. Can you go more in detail on how you use the side imaging for navigating new water?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 797 and it works good. The screen is hard to read in sunlight sometimes. The larger screen would be nice if you are real serious about it. You need to make sure what you want.....lots of money! If I had it to do over, I would shy away from the side image. You will like the graphics on the humminbird though.
    Crappie.......its whats for dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat 1 View Post
    I have the 797 and it works good. The screen is hard to read in sunlight sometimes. The larger screen would be nice if you are real serious about it. You need to make sure what you want.....lots of money! If I had it to do over, I would shy away from the side image. You will like the graphics on the humminbird though.
    Besides the screen is hard to read, is there anything else you don't like about the unit?

Post Thanks / Like

No, the only complaint I would have is the ability to make out the images on the screen. I do just like mduncan....run 1 side at 45ft. to get a legible image. Other than that I can say you will love it. The GPS graphics are great!
    Crappie.......its whats for dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna throw in my two cents. Know of a few folks that have purchased SI units only to get disheartened and give up on the side imaging aspects. Like anything it takes time and patience and you have to orient yourself differently than with a standard LCR. Agree with Buckwheat, great graphics. Some of the Lake Ozark guys swear by them. One of the HB pro staff guys I know will take you out in your boat and help you understand the unit, let me know if you think that could help. In my opinion they do have the best customer service in the electronics industry right now, you can get thru to people at the factory and they are responsive if you have issues. But don't expect that you are going to turn the unit on the first time and know everything there is to know about side imaging.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll throw my $.02 in here too... I have a 997. Got a bass boat and the 997 this past spring. Just like all electronics, you have to trust them to be able to use them. I don't care how good they are, if you don't trust them, you won't use them. The SI truly shines when you are looking for schooling fish. They are easy to see and you can search a wide area. Also, a bit deeper water is better. We were using ours today to locate schools of shad to find the white bass. First time I've used it for this. We picked up a couple extra fish because of it. Unfortuneatly I haven't had the chance to look for schooled crappie yet, but I would imagine it would be very similar. The thing about the side imaging is you have to be moving for it to work. So to get the most out of it, you would scan the area you plan to fish to find the schooled fish, mark those spots with your GPS and then go back and target those specific fish.
    Yahoo! Side Imaging Group is a great resource with lots of pictures.
    Cameron Denison - St. Charles, MO
    Mississippi River Pool 26 | Mark Twain Lake
    White/Black Skeeter and I talk to everyone.
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 798 and have used it ~ 8 months and I fish several times a week. I agree that the screen is so small it is hard to make out objects on the bottom with the range extended. I have slowed the scroll speed way down and this helped and I can see how displaying 1 side would help as well. For me the side imaging unit has not helped me catch a single fish. A good map and GPS is what I depend on to find fish.
    LIFE’S TOO SHORT TO FISH WITHOUT BEER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast