Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: summer crappie help

Post Thanks / Like

Default summer crappie help

ok guys i need some help, i have never been a summer time crappie fisherman but it is just too much work to bass fish this time of year ( that or i am just getting to old to put up with all the work and heat and bass boats buzzing around) but anyway i need some tips on where and when to go on Guntersville. i normally catch a few in the spring but for the most part i am lost. I like to fish from daylight until it gets to hot. but i DO NOT want to take anyones honey holes just some direction
    If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person.
    If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house.
    If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation.
    If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world

Post Thanks / Like

Im here in North Texas and I use one of two methods for finding summer time Crappie.

One of the best ways I have found is I look at where I caught them in the spring. Generally speaking they shouldnt be too far away in deeper water. Look for a drop off in deeper water that has some sort of structure on it it. Chances are your FF will show some fish. Drop down a jig and verify that. If there is then make a note of it. In my local this is usually about 14ft deep water this time of the year. Water level fluctuations can change this though.

Another technique I use to find Crappie spots, is while I am out fishing I spend a lot of time looking at my FF. Again I am looking for drop off with some sort of structure on it that has some shallow water flats near enough to it to be a likely spawning area. If a school of fish show up I will drop a bait down and find out whats down there. I have located a couple of nice prodictive spots this summer doing just this while out chasing Sandies or LMB in my Kayak this summer.

I am sure there are many here far more knowledgable than I but this is how I have located spots to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Send James linderman a IM. He fishes that lake alot and I'm sure he can help you out. Just tell him I sent you. But he probably will read this post anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by huls1 View Post
    ok guys i need some help, i have never been a summer time crappie fisherman but it is just too much work to bass fish this time of year ( that or i am just getting to old to put up with all the work and heat and bass boats buzzing around) but anyway i need some tips on where and when to go on Guntersville. i normally catch a few in the spring but for the most part i am lost. I like to fish from daylight until it gets to hot. but i DO NOT want to take anyones honey holes just some direction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guntersville

huls1 Hi there guntersville is different monster when fishing for crappie on other lakes structure is the key and deep water drops with spawning flats are very good but one key point to fishing gunterville is deep drops with grass growing up.find grass in creek channels thats a good place to start.you can catch them pulling jigs spidder rigging or trolling cranks this time of year.As the water temps start to cool off try bridges and shallow flats.there is a lot of good places to fish around goose pond and north sauty bridge.hope i was able to help you out keep us informed on your catchs.
    Thanks James
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help
    If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person.
    If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house.
    If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation.
    If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When does the grass start to die out at Guntersville?
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

The grass is there most of the year but when they start lower the water for winter it dies off in shawllow water.out in the main channel its there most of the time just not as thick but the fish will be there if you find good grass growing.
    Looks like i will be looking for some new places this year with them killing the grass in our area for 4 or 5 years but if you can find some that the posion hasnt got to it there will be fish holding on it not just crappie bass bream cats.
    Thanks James
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders