Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thermocline different this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Thermocline different this year!

I've been night fishing the same lake for 5 summers now...in the previous four, we catch fish in 25-30 feet of water. Usually the fish are suspended 15-20' over a good dropoff or such. If we drop to the bottom, we can still catch crappies but the catfish tend to be a problem then...

BUT this summer is different! We had a bad hot spell in June and the water temps got up to 93 on the surface, the hottest I've ever seen it. Then the fishing went to pot. I suspect a thermocline always forms on this very deep lake. Problem is this summer, there must be no oxygen in the deeper layer which is now only 12-14' deep. There are NO fish below the thermocline this summer. All our favorite spots...NO fish there now.

I managed to catch a few the other night in shallower water in ONE spot I know of. But I'm still perplexed. Usually the fishing gets best after July 4. This year is got bad instead. Any ideas? You folks who fish all summer must have a clue where the fish go in these conditions!

thanks for any info,

Joe

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, I saw some posts on the La. board about catching fish in 1 to 2 foot of water and perhaps the only explanation is the lack of oxygen at the deeper levels. This was day time fishing.

"gene"

"G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Free oxygen.

Gene is correct about the lack of oxygen in the deeper parts of the lake. The weeds give off oxygen in the shallows and make these areas attractive to the fish.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Night fishing has been different this year for me also. Been catching them this year in 15 to 20' of water with most of the crappie caught at 10' depth. The 25 to 30' water range is not working for some reason this year. The crappie have been at this depth since March and have not moved to deeper depths for night fishing. I have to fish different places than my normal night spots.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just fish the same places, just not as deep.....

Post Thanks / Like

Look for some good structure near the depth of the thermocline and fish that. Try a little above and below and you should find them. Sometimes they will be hanging a ways off the structure at the depth of the thermocline (in big numbers).

Just remember that you have them trapped now since they won't go any deeper. Find the pattern and you will probably catch a bunch. Have fun.
    Grego

Post Thanks / Like

It has been a very strange year spawn was 4 week's early same thing here on the heat and depths thermocline show'in on graph bottom to 3 foot up at 35' , but success has been achieved by searching out the schools of threadfin shad and running jig's about bottom of school to 2 foot below I'll admitt it been different, but that's what makes it fishing and not catching.
    STICK-A-FORK-IN-ME-IM-DUMBER !
    www.CrazyAnglerTackle.com

Post Thanks / Like

There still catching crappie be low the dam. Its a hydroelectric power plant. The water is going through the turbines is cooler, thus I think that is why there still catching crappie in 3 and four foot range. Air temp is running around 96 degrees. I'll find out tuesday I'm going to fish below the dam. I'll be bank fishing. Will report after I get home Tuesday.