Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in Really Murky Water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing in Really Murky Water

OK guys I need some help.
    I fish mostly in tributaries of the Ohio River in souther Indiana. There is some great crappie fishing in them. But the water is so murky you can only see your lure about 2-4" in the water. It is a mix of mud and who knows what else that makes it so murky. I do reasonably well with minnows most of the time, but this is not deep water, (the channel only runs about 10-15' deep), so when its hot the fish seem to turn off.

Here's the question: I'd rather use artificials rather than minnows. Black/chartruse or black/white seems to work the best, but only moderately and not as good as minnows. Any suggestions from those of you who fish similar conditions?
    I'm just an ornery sinner saved by Grace:o

Post Thanks / Like

anytime I've fished muddy water I use orange/chartreuse, white/chartreuse. Other than that I change em up till I find what they want.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    anytime I've fished muddy water I use orange/chartreuse, white/chartreuse. Other than that I change em up till I find what they want.

Fatman
    i would have to 2nd that

i use plastic all the time and almost never use live bait , once you find the color for that lake your going to be catching em

Post Thanks / Like

I fish muddy water quite a bit in the spring, I go to a larger bait like the large Rocky Top jigs and slow down my presentation and fish tight to cover.
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Bigger baits and fish slow if that doesn't work slow down some more!

Post Thanks / Like

My home lake is shallow and murky ( muddy ) year round. I have good luck with red/chartreuse and black/chartreuse. When the bite gets tough, I usually just tip 'em with a minnow.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

road runners road runners road runners. Fish them just like a tube jig, and dont mind the blade, works great in dirty water. Dont be afraid to throw them an and just wind them in as well, but theres alot of value in jigging them.

Try lotsa colors, some guys say bright colors in muddy water(pinks and oranges ect) some guys say dark colors in muddy water(blacks and browns and purples). Myself, i dunno, ive used both, and caught fish with both.
    ask the fish, they'll genreally tell which they like the best.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Road Runners and Rooster Tails in a Rainbow pattern, and white seem to produce the best for me. I guess we fish what we have confidence in and I certainly have confidence in those two. I've never caught a crappie on one, but i have torn up the bream and the bass on them along with lots of pike.

I fish the Little Maumelle River and its quite murky.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have quite a choice there, pastor!

"Just let you nets down." It worked for Peter when he was obedient. <><

aj

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepastor,
    Crappie Guide Todd Huckabee has stated he uses the "Yum Beaver Tail (Black and Pink) in murky water.
    Bass fisherman Bill Dance uses a solid Black spinner bait in Muddy to murky water.
    Both seem to think the fish can see the Black very well when it is seen against a Muddy/Murky background.
    1perchjerker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast