Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnow Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow Tank

Just Got My Minnow Tank Set-up Hope To Save Minnows And Money
    I Seem To Always Buy To Many Minnows And Having To Pour Them
    Out But ,this Fall And Winter I'm Gonna Save Them.
    I Think I Might Need A Filter,cause The Water Smells Bad,
    But I Change It Every Day. Anyone Got Some Pointers?

Spider Rig Man

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how many minnows you have but seems like if you change the water completely everyday that should be ok. Otherwise you will need a filter.

keep the water aerated, keep water clean, feed the little critters to keep them fat and sassy, and keep the tank clean. Most of all keep the water coolwith plenty of oxygen.
    Keep the minnow tank water cool and let it warm to the lake water temp as you travel to the lake. Cooler water slows the minnow metabolism so bodily functions slow down.

good luck on keeping them, I do real well with a ten gallon bucket a cheap aquarium aerater and a fillter that I found will faten on the side of the bucket. I can't keep them in hot weather very well ( no cheap way to cool the water) but I well from fall to spring here in NC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Hey Wiz:

Is your filter a powered filter type? If so does it use AC or DC power. If AC how did you get ac on the boat.

I am thinking about getting a DC to AC power inverter to run some air pumps and maybe a powered filter on my boat. Just thinking out loud here.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- AC powered.
    I have several battery powered minnow buckets. I have had a lot of trouble with them and they are noisy. The small AC powered units are quieter and more reliable. The savings on flashlight style batteries will pay for the AC aerator in a year.
    I have a DC to AC inverter that plugs into a DC cigarette lighter receptacle that I use in the boat.
    When I am traveling I use the same extension cord I use to charge batteries to run the filter and aerator on the minnow tank.
    I don't actually use the filter on the boat. I do use the aerator however. I just clip the filter on at night or change the water daily at the lake.
    I also carry aquasafe from walmart. Just a drop will make tap water safe for minnows and an overdose won't kill them. With that stuff you can change the water in the minnow tank with any drinking water.
    I always watch water temp and never shock the minnows by sudden temp changes when I change water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    Just Got My Minnow Tank Set-up Hope To Save Minnows And Money
    I Seem To Always Buy To Many Minnows And Having To Pour Them
    Out But ,this Fall And Winter I'm Gonna Save Them.
    I Think I Might Need A Filter,cause The Water Smells Bad,
    But I Change It Every Day. Anyone Got Some Pointers?Spider Rig Man
    i have a minnow storage tank that works great. I used a 55 gallon plastic drum, put a pump in it like they use in yard ponds, come out of the pump with 1/2 inch pvc line, split it at the top, one line going to the filter and one to the aerator. put a valve on each line. the aerator is attached under the top of the barrel and the filter line goes out the top and empties into the filter, which is a piece of 6 in pvc connector with the filter material being several layers of foam with activated charcoal sandwiched tween them. on top of the filter opening i have a wire strainer to capture the big trash. with crappie minnows you dont have much scales and crap to contend with. the valves control water flow to each line for best effect. the charcoal helps remove the amonia and stuff like that. on the bottom of the barrel i put several inches of pea gravel. this gives a place for the bacteria to form which helps keep the water clean and odor free, like the gravel in an aquarium. Ive kept minnows in the tank all summer with no problem. youll have a few die offs but most of em live till you can use em again. I used to dump what i had left after a trip and it seemd like i always had too many. now i bring em home, along with the minnows everyone else thats with me dont wanna keep. after a couple trips i have enought to make a third trip without having to buy minnows.. I made a bigger tank out of a large tank with the filter and aerator but so far my minnows aint living long. its about 250 gallon id guess. only thing is on this one i havent put charcoal yet, nor have i put any gravel in it. looks like im gonna have to do that next to see if it will make a difference in keeping the minnows alive.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Rango

Can you post a picture of your tank? Were do you keep it where it wont get so warm throughout the summer?
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skleppe
    Rango

Can you post a picture of your tank? Were do you keep it where it wont get so warm throughout the summer?
    i made some detailed photos of it this am. soons i get em processed, ill post em. photos of the tank, filter system, piping and motor. I keep mine out back back under a big beech tree where its shady all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    i made some detailed photos of it this am. soons i get em processed, ill post em. photos of the tank, filter system, piping and motor. I keep mine out back back under a big beech tree where its shady all the time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Be sure to include directions to the beech tree In case the bait shop is closed.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Rango,

How warm does it get there in South Carolina during the summer?
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skleppe
    Rango,

How warm does it get there in South Carolina during the summer?
    It gets pretty warm. in the 90's. the water temp of my home lake got as high as 93degree. tomorrow i will be posting on the sc board the photos i took of my minnow storage tank. they should answer most the questions you have about how i got my tank set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Be sure to include directions to the beech tree In case the bait shop is closed.:D
    the tank is located about 40 yds south west of my back door, behind the dog pen under the huge beech nut tree......watch out for the dog poo and watch for fire ants in your search....the minnows in the tank now are poor workers. last trip out couldnt catch one crappie on em. you can have em if you come get em....worthless critters for sure