PDA

View Full Version : Net Profit?

crataegus
06-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy lifting the fish into the boat by hand. There is an extra degree of satisfaction in it for me. I enjoy it as much as releasing the fish unharmed (and almost as much as eating them with a healthy coating of old bay seasoning). When a slab breaks the surface for the first time, I determine the quality and location of the hookset--and tailor a direction and aggression of pull that I believe gives me the best chance to get my thumb in its mouth. I've seen many fish get off the hook while the fightee (solo or team) is awkwardly flailing for the net, or coarsley pulling the fish towards it. Too much attention is diverted to getting the net rather than getting the fish. Chaos.

In the end, I believe that just as many crappie can be landed without a net than with a net. I thought about this last night: in about 75 fishing trips since owning a netless boat and after lipping over 100 1.5-2.92 lb crappie out of the water, I have yet to lose a crappie while reaching down for it.

Bold claim. How important is the net to you? Is there anyone who feels the same?

How do I post a poll?

catman
06-24-2009, 07:02 PM
i never carry a net in the boat except in a tournament, and i never catch one big enough in a tournament to need one.

crataegus
06-24-2009, 07:14 PM
just like bringing an umbrella means it won't rain!

wasabi
06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
you are awesome

speckfinder
06-25-2009, 02:56 AM
no net for me

poppop
06-25-2009, 05:02 AM
How do I post a poll?

Crat, just click on post a new thread....scroll down to the second block..and it gives you an option to create a poll.

chaunc
06-25-2009, 06:43 AM
My lund sits up a little higher than a lot of other boats so i cant always reach down and thumb the fish. Plus some of us over-weight guys cant bend down that far anyway. :D I definetly use a net.

Hillbilly910
06-25-2009, 07:40 AM
just when tourny fishing, or an accidnetal catch, like a big bass or catfish or something. 99% of the time, just swing them up into the boat(i use short rods most of the time), some of the bigger ones i'll get down and either lip, and grasp.

But when were competeting, we use a net on all but the dinks, and the fish caught directly under the boat. Our first tournament, we basicly took ourselves out of the money by loosing 3 nice fish, and we swore never again.
our last tourny, we actually forgot the net(never again by the way!), out of the blue, i hooked into a monster, was a scary few seconds till i got him up into the boat. Needless to say, after my partner saw what loosing a fish like that could cost you, we might have 2 or 3 nets in the boat from now on!

HB:cool:

deathb4disco
06-25-2009, 07:44 AM
For me, it depends on the size rod I'm using. If I'm fishing with a 12-14' rod, I use a net. If I'm using a shorter rod, I usually don't.

It also depends on the species. I'm more inclined to use a net for trout because they tend to be much more "fragile" than warmwater fish.

boat49
06-25-2009, 07:50 AM
99% of the time I have a net in the boat and it gets used .099% of the time.

stinkies daddy
06-25-2009, 08:03 AM
i only carry a net because the guy i guide for insists i have 1 in the boat. for me alone its no net situation i just lip them if they cant be swung over the boat.

callshy
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I keep two nets in the boat. Pretty satisfying for me to get the net under one and seems to be safer to me since I have had hooks pop loose from the mouth and stick in my finger. That does not feel good!

Hanr3
06-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I don't own a net.

yankee doodler
06-26-2009, 04:56 AM
Using shorter rods I like to lip 'em. There is a super feeling when pulling them outa the drink that way, and besides you're posed for the pic already. ;)

When I got the kids and am using the 13.5' rods the net comes in handy sometimes.

thankfull
06-26-2009, 08:25 AM
I will use a net in most cases during tournaments, depends on situation when recreational fishing.

crappiepastor
06-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I've never used a net, but after loosing a couple real nice ones last time out, I decided to get one.

But the Ego panfish expandable net seems to be out of stock and I havn't been able to get it.

skeetbum
06-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Older, overweight and don't want to fall out since my agility ain't what it used to be. If I can see the jig, I use the net. Call me lightweight(but if you do, you haven't seen me.lol)

crataegus
06-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Sounds like some pretty good reasons to bring a net along! I'm 26 with a low sitting Jon boat. I'm sure it's only a matter of years before I invest in a net, too.

CastandBlast
06-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I use a rubber net when pulling cranks or on big fish....Getting a treble hook buried in yourself can ruin a good fishing trip fast.

Ken Jones
06-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I carry a net in all my boats. If I should happen to catch a over size catfish on six pound test line the fish is netted. Or a large carp. Most of the time I hoast crappie right into the boat. If I loose one thats okay theres others to take its place. I net all my salmon and steelhead also trout fishing from from a boat.

abarkley
06-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I never leave home without my net.

GRIZZ
06-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm a lip lander, and I feel the same way about it as you do. If my fingers aren't sore and a bit tore up at the end of a crappie fishing trip it just doesn't feel right.

crataegus
06-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Well put Grizz!

INGrandad
06-28-2009, 05:19 AM
I've used a net once in my life, and that was for a huge steelhead that my then 13 year old son fought to a standstill. A landowner along the river handed it to us on one of several trips past his place as we chased the fish up and down the river.