HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 7 of 166 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling Cranks 101

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about your boat maj but I have a 15 42 duracraft and I idled with my 25 merc last year and pulled cranks 1 time and caught crappie, twice has many little green carp but we also caught a good mess of crappie. That was labor day weekend. I am looking forward to pulling more cranks this summer, have already started my crankbait collection. By the way does anyone have treble hooks wear down while pulling? My Uncle done this all last year before I found this site. He is the one who started me. He gave me a bait and I tied it on, after missing several fish I inspected the back hook and and it was word down nearly to the barb! He knew this of course and he had a good laugh. Mean ole uncle.
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biggerjigger View Post
    major, what hp is your gas motor, I was thinking you had like a 25 or 35 if so you probably wont need a drift sock or any buckets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    "Thanks for all your replies and help. Hasen't this seemed to have been a pleasant thread....no name calling.....no poo flinging....just good information. I wonder who is missing."

Hey now bub, call your shots.

I didn't see anything to disagree with above, but no discussion of the baits to use.

If you want to start out on the cheap and build from there, here's the 4 colors of Bandit 300s I'd start with

1) Black or Black Sparkle

2) Mistake

3) Awesome Pink

4) Red - Texas Craw is a good one.

Those are the 4 basic hughes everthing else is just a variation of the above. Then you'll want to have some more colors....lots more colors.....and dont' forget about the 200s when they're up shallow....then you've got Wally Marshals when they want a snack, Norman DLNs for the big fish bite and don't forget about swimbaits if you find some mean fish..............well, you see where this leads right?

Here's a link I pilfered from Jeepster - prolly the cheapest non sale Price I've seen. Bandit Series 300 Crankbait

Only thing from above I'll add is that I prefer no snap above the bait and just use a quick figure 8 knot instead. I've had trouble with the baits not running true with additional hardward. Also 10# mono works best for me (may not on Ross Barnett) and I like the hi-vis lines. The higher and visier the better.

My best speed seems to be 1.7 or 1.8 mph.

Wannabe...
    Thanks for your input wb.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Don't do that Maj.....you're making me all nervous being nice to me. Gives me the heebie jeebies. LOL.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see you guys are going to make me spend a lot of money this year!!! I can't wait to try it out.

My only experience trolling for crappie was with my grandfather 30 years ago in his pontoon boat.

I see references to "the Big 3" when talking about these rules and methods. Is Arkabutla too shallow to use similar methods compared to the others?

I need a mentor--my head is going to hurt trying to pack all of this info into my puny little brain.

dandy

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall this being said but you will also need a good gps so you can set your trolling speed.

I use a handheld Garmin Rino130 it works great.

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !
    Thanks JBoyTN thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Donnie, you can pull cranks at 'butla. It's just not as productive as the other lakes , but then, that is the case for every other technique there as well. You don't catch many on 'butla usually, but what you do catch is QUALITY!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heck you can pull them at

Ross Barnett but I THINK it's an early summer pattern. Somewhere between the pawn and when the thermocline sets up. Just know I was catching them the first few trips pretty good, then POOF, they were gone as the thermocline set up. To much cover in Ross Barnett to pull in many places
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Post Thanks / Like

Dandy, I make an excellent role model......I'm just saying.

Don't listen to Slab on the Rhino. Go ahead and order 2 H'bird 1197s an Interlink and a 2010 Navionics Platinum chip. It'll save you a bunch of horse trading later.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by majflyboy View Post
    Creek, if you vouch for these folks I'll order 4 of those tomorrow. That's $15.00 lower than any I've seen. Thanks.
    I ordered four from this place and had no problems whatsoever, they are regularly 24.99 here, don't have to wait for a sale.

Okuma Magda Pro Line Counter MA-15DX Northwoods Wholesale Outlet
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Donnie, you can pull cranks at 'butla. It's just not as productive as the other lakes , but then, that is the case for every other technique there as well. You don't catch many on 'butla usually, but what you do catch is QUALITY!
    I do better pushing cranks at 'butla. Best day there last summer was in July pushing cranks...best 7 fish weighed 15 lb 10 oz. Also do better at 1.1 to 1.4 mph there.

Page 7 of 166 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107 ... LastLast