Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Perch Tournament

Post Thanks / Like

There are good perch runs on the tidal rivers in southern Va, the North Landing and Northwest which empty into the North Carolina sounds, not too hard to catch a bunch in Feb and March running up to 1 1/2lbs. They put up a good fight and taste good. Launch in Chesapeake at Nortwest is Bobs Fishing Hole on Rt 168 which is on the way to the Outer Banks, launchs on the North Landing at West Neck Creek, Wests Landing both on West Neck Rd, or further down Princess Anne Rd at Munden Pt. All of these are about 2.5 hrs from Fredricksburg.

Post Thanks / Like

hey Boscoe are there any perch tournaments in those neck of the woods? Sounds like there are some good holes in your area, I would be intrested in coming down if there was a tourney going on. kinda far if there's not a tourney but i do frequent southern va during the year sometimes so i would consider it even if there's not a tourney going on.
    Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    :cool:
    Likes downsouth LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Perchslayer,

The largest white perch that I can recall was about 18 inches caught out of the Perquimins river about 4 years ago. I caught about 5 that were that size that day. That day I was just throwing out a beetle spin and letting it sink to the bottom and then slowly cranking it back in. Just slow enough for the blade to turn. The most effective way that I know of now is to long line troll beetle spins tipped with shrimp out the back of the boat in 6 feet of water or less. I am not sure exactly what the weight is of the world record but I do remember it being around 5 pounds. I don't have any pictures but would love to see it myself. Perch have been slow down this way this year. There were a couple of times that I heard of big catches but by the time word got out, it was over. The only name I know of for a big perch is " a big ole perch". Good Luck. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Never trolled before for white perch, however i troll often for rockfish in the fall. I've heard of trolling for crappie and perch on the internet but most people around don't, at least the people i talk to don't. But i would like to try trolling for perch and crappie. What speed do you troll at for these perch, also when you say beetle spins, what size do you use also how to do you rig it.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Post Thanks / Like

Perchslayer,

We use 1/32 ounce to 1/16 ounce jigs on the beetle spins and tip the hook with a piece of shrimp. Adding the shrimp also adds bulk so you might have to pinch on some split shot to get it to go down some. We vary the split shot weights to get some baits deeper in the water to cover more depths. Use 4 to 8 rods or what ever you feel comfortable with. The more rods the better until you find the fish. Then you just set up 4 rods like the one your catching fish on because 8 can be more like work when you get in them good. You can use this method for crappie as well but instead of shrimp on the hook, use minnows. Most of the time if you don't tip with the shrimp, your not going to do too well. The shrimp is the key. Trolling speed is from just getting the blades to turn on you beetle spins to 1.5 mph. You may also have to add more split shot for higher speed to get the same depth. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Good Luck. CF

Post Thanks / Like

Post shrimp?

hey CF, when you say shrimp do you mean grass shrimp (bronicula) or store bought like the bait type you can buy in tackle shops.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We fish for them about the same way CF does. I like grass shrimp better, but when you can't get them, regular bait shrimp will work.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Perchslayer,

I've always used regular bait shrimp. Never tried grass shrimp but if IBNFSHN says they work better then they probably do.

IBNFSHN. Where do you get your grass shrimp? CF

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a few places in Portsmouth and Chesapeake where you can get close to the water and weeds and dip them with a fine net on a long handle. If you want to know exactly where, let me know. Basically, any water affected by the tide and has lots of grass that you can get to without sinking.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

around my parts the creek i fish out of is full of bull minnows and some shad & shinners can be caught, but there are also tons of grass shrimp. I can take my net and run up a piling off of my dock and catch tons, more than i would need in a whole day of fishing all in about 10mins of catching the bait. Also there are loads of minnows and baitfish to be caught in cast nets.

Has anyone ever used a seine net b4, consider it but wasn't sure of how it would work or if it was truely worth it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12