Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please school me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soonerdg View Post
    Here are the things I've learned. Most have been mentioned.

the spotlock is accurate to roughly 5 feet. Which means your boat can and will "wander" in a 10 foot circle with the spotlock point at the center.
    Spotlock works best with some wind. The lighter the wind the more the boat will "wander" within circle mentioned above
    Get the GPS puck as close to the TM as you can and then make sure you set the "offset" in the TM settings.
    Make sure you follow the calibration instructions and calibrate the GPS
    If ANYTHING touches the pedal while in SL mode it will disengage the spot lock (this gets really annoying)
    Learn to use the "jog" feature to ease up on a spot. If i find a fish on livescope then I usually hit spot lock about 10-20 feet away and let the boat settle down. Then I use the jog forward feature to move up 5 feet at a time until I have the boat where I want it. This has saved me from blowing fish out more times than I can count. You can jog in all 4 directions to get your best boat position.

all that said, spotlock is an absolute game changer. No more drifting off of your spot while you put a fish in the LiveWell or retie your line. No more working the trolling motor while you try to drop a bait on a finicky crappie.

Just for info. All of what you say is true...for the old legacy models. The new Quest series does away with all that. Spot lock keeps you within 3 feet.....no more puck...it is built into the head. The Quest series is light years better than the older versions.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    Motorguide tm and garmin and lowrance electronics

Sent from my SM-S711U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I had a Motorguide Xi5 on my last boat, that worked with the Lowrance fish finder. I mostly used the remote to control the trolling motor. The spotlock for the motor worked well, the GPS was built into the head of the motor. I actually think the Motorguide kept me pretty close to where I set it. I seem to do more drifitng around with my Garmin force now.

To be able to control the Xi5 with the fishfinder I had to set up a NEMA 2000 network between the trolling motor and fishfinder. I don't know if that is still true with the newer graphs or not.

I have all Garmin on this boat. I assume I could control the Force trolling motor with the Garmin Fishfinder, I haven't tried I just use the remote. I keep the foot pedal in the boat in case I need it but I've never used it.
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

happycaster58 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything said is true. Remember to watch the stern of the boat when locked near structure such as a dock or bridge- the front may stay locked but the boat can spin!
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123