This deer had been shot head on and hunter saw the deer stumble but could not find any hair or blood. We dropped the dogs and they immediately headed to where the he said the deer crossed the fence. The went across a powerline and into the woods and started circling around. I could tell that Scout overrun the trail (tends to do this when there is another dog, she doesn't like to get beat) so I took her back to the fence. She worked a little slower this time to about middle of the powerline where she took a 90 degree turn. Finally about 90 yds from shot site we found the first spot of blood where the buck had crossed a creek. Both dogs got on this trail and got to a point where I felt they jumped the deer. We got to that point but there was no blood in the area so we pushed a little further until we come to a deeper creek. The buck was spotted on other side of the creek bedded but couldn't get a shot off in time. We got across the creek and there was not blood in the bed but about 10 yds the way he ran we found another spot of blood. The dogs went forward again to a point and stood there for a bit before returning. I knew the deer had bedded again so we leashed the dogs and eased forward to where the hunter could dispatch the deer. Track ended up being about 850 yds.

Name:  Al-G-12-27-23.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  177.9 KB