HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why are Crappie so difficult for so many to catch

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I had to dive in here. Amen & amen to rojoguio he speaks the truth . Our electrics is only a tool. I recall as a young kid, dragging a treble hook to find brush or a stump, then taking a stick line and sinker to mark it with and there it was before electronics or I could afford them. Catching crappie or white perch as I use to call them.
    Our presentation is a art, Rojoguio is 100% right. If what you’re doing ain’t working you need to change as the fish do. I like him, most days I out catch whoever is with me. Some people fish to fast others could be said fish to slow which I have a hard time believing. Some people jig while others mimic bait. You have to learn to have the patience of Job in the Bible.
    Also watch how the bait that a crappie eats acts. What bait they are feeding on that particular day. I am only 63 but I was the outdoors man of three boys. Neither of my brothers can catch fish worth a flip. But one of my brothers will tell you, the way I fish to him feels like work. It as Rojoguio said and true for me my focus is like this, me and the pole, line and jig is one. If I know the fish is there and he’s hungry enough to taste it “he’s mine”! Back when I use to bream fish and always catch my limit when one of my friends would go with me and their wife would be back home with my wife after a few hours or so they would ask my wife when to expect us back home. She would tell them I don’t fish with him, as long as he has a cricket leg in that basket he ain’t coming home. So you gotta love it.
    Wish I could help you, but don’t give up once you figure it out, it’s very rewarding. Nothing is happening in the world when I am fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes SuperDave336, Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a teaching session last week with a total novice, retired neighbor and my son who fishes but not as successful as I am. So it was crappie 101 time. I see a lot of folks struggling on the docks and banks and will offer them some advice. I have fished for them for long time and usually ketch quite a few more than my buddy who owned the boat we would fish for them on. sometimes we would park over brush at the back end of folks docks and he would literally be right next to mine with similar jig and I would ketch one after another while he would only ketch a few. so I showed them how to stay in contact with your jig as it goes down so you feel instantly when a fish takes it or once you reach your level to hold it for few seconds and then slightly tic your line to give it action. Then if no bite you slowly raise your rod up and that often triggers the bite. My neighbor and my son had AHA moments after a bit and seeing me reel in fish after fish and the both "GOT IT" and they joined in the fun. Biggest thing is don't overthink it, it's really not that hard and always when in doubt set the hook!

But once we bought our cabin and started trying the local lakes we really struggled fishing off the rip rap as most of the locals did who were very successful ketchn. Finally I got tired of that and started talking to all of them and watching what they were doing. mostly they were bobber and 12 foot pole guys who knew where the brush was and they would slowly bring their baits right over them and tick the brush and that's when they would ketchm. One time I would try a pier and had a guy right next to me fishing with bobbers same depth and baits and he was ketchn one after other and I wasn't. then he moved to a dock and continued ketchn and I determined to go meet him and find out. I introduced myself and asked him why he was getting bit and I wasn't, he laughed and said oh you were getting lots of bites but crappie bit UP and your bobber was coming up and you didn't notice but he did. He was correct as most of us expect the bobber to go down or bounce. He and I became great friends and he has laid a LOT of knowledge on me and is my mentor and is like ketchn down in texas in the numbers and size he ketch's.

Now I have figured it out while fishing with him. mostly it's about touch and using hi vis line so that you see any tick at all and you simply raise your wrist and you will greatly increase your ketch. As he says hooksets are free and you don't have to dramatically raise your rod to do so and if it wasn't a fish it simply moves your jig up and down and often that triggers a strike.

Easiest method of ketchn tho is simply dragging your jig thru the water if your on top of brush or reeling it in slowly either tight line or under bobber. Crappie and other fish will then set the hook themselves and takes all the guesswork and feel out of equation.

Biggest thing is GO FISHING CAUSE IT"S GOOD FOR YA! A great man says all the time. Plus if you see someone ketchn while your not go over and stick your hand out and introduce yourself. Most good fisherfolk I know are generous with their knowledge and will give you tips that will help you. my biggest advantage is all the folks I know at my home lakes and I call them before going and get the latest intel.
    Likes Mstr Dan, Lund, Slabprowler, thill LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    I have the answer, Presentation, Presentation, Presentation, my Bud is preparing the video as I write this. You just can't explain it, you have to see it. I take guys close to me and teach them how. Some say it doesn't matter I say the same guy catches 1/2 what I do. Another thing is Focus - when I'm single poling I enter a Zen, no what did the wife say earlier, I think the engine in the Fishin' Expedition needs spark plugs, not even did the bills get paid this month. I'm single minded listening to what my jig pole is telling my fingers! If you're looking at a screen to catch a fish I beat you all day in numbers - total weight in the box. I went out and shot video to support the last CrappieNow article out this month but my cheap Windows Computer starts crying, skipping, green screening, trying to edit for those wanting to learn. I had to have someone else make it for me but it's on the way. I'm at the stage in life if I can help I will but I run into resistance all the time by those who can't catch half of what I boat in twice the time. The distances between all of us makes doing a clinic difficult at best. Presentation of a jig properly is really a one on one education. Let me say this then I'm off, for those willing to pay more attention to your jig pole than your screen there is hope, for those who have bought a screen expecting it to put fish on your hook - you have put the cart before the horse. Please forgive my rant.
    Rojoguio, saw the video. It was amazing…
    Never thought crappie would that high to get a bait. Hope the tactic works for me!
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Deadly Dan, I don't believe the fish were really that high up in the water column, but were teased to come up to the bait away from the school so as not to disturb the school as one would dropping the bait into the school and pulling fish away from it. Great technique rojoguio, and esplaining how it works. Proof is in the box, not counting all the throw backs...I for one thank you Sir.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyDan View Post
    Rojoguio, saw the video. It was amazing…
    Never thought crappie would that high to get a bait. Hope the tactic works for me!
    I'm fishing in driving distance for you in that video but I don't want you to expect it works every time but it works. Today I had to see 8.5ft on the Plotter and have the jig 6 inches off the bottom. I tried to tease but I was fishing 2-3yr old Laydowns with all those little limbs. You went to depth and didn't move till your hook was in a fishes mouth. Still have several wrap, had to work them out of the limbs.

Mstr Dan is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking to my daughter this weekend dhe wanted to know why I catch and she dose not. I told her practice and patience. I am just niw getting the hang of the light crappie bites. Like Ketchn says you need to be in tune with your equipment and understand the finicky creatures. I figure in a few years I may be better at it. Why are Crappie so difficult for so many to catch

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Catch all you can when you can!
    An old man in his old boat having fun!
    FISHING REPORT: ‹Caught two docks, 3 trees and a stump- threw them back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mstr Dan View Post
    Talking to my daughter this weekend dhe wanted to know why I catch and she dose not. I told her practice and patience. I am just niw getting the hang of the light crappie bites. Like Ketchn says you need to be in tune with your equipment and understand the finicky creatures. I figure in a few years I may be better at it. Why are Crappie so difficult for so many to catch
    I hoped my video would show how lite some of the bites were. Holding my line in the off hand helps me feel a change in the weight of the jig. That is the secret. Feeling the weight change through the Blank alone can be difficult but holding the line in the off hand, resting the line in the fingertips greatly increases our ability to sense the change. Just my
    Likes Mstr Dan, SuperDave336 LIKED above post
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip Rojo.

Post Thanks / Like

I also like holding the line in the hand opposite the rod, I find that lifting the bait with my hand gets more bits than with the rod. I think it moves upward more slowly and smoothly. I also like to “tick” the jig with my line hand. BUT, I really wished I had 3 hands, with one hand dedicated to the LS pole. LOL
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Here is the presentation video I mentioned earlier. For those who don't know what I'm talking about it is how you enter the water with your jig, how you lower it down, and how to tease a Crappie to bite. I hope you find it helpful. For those who already know how to fish it would be interesting to see if you like it or not. I'm also posting along with last months CrappieNow article we did to support that article.

Above the Fray - YouTube

Thank you for posting this! I tried this Friday but still got to get used to it! It was a rough day and Lowe175 agreed it probably would be (after a front) I’m starting to feel while feeling but not the vertical jig (while still) or on the drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tight Lines!
    '02 Lund Explorer SS 1675 / '02 Yamaha 90hp & 6hp / '22 Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 93sv / '24 Garmin Force Kraken 63" Trolling Motor

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast