Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Country Wine Production

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    You know, we can help remedy that! I'll PM you my addy.
    I posted in a earlier post if we ever have a get together I can make nobody will be able to drive. We will need taxi service.
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeCrappie View Post
    I’ll store your S-10 for ya……..
    A buddy has a lift he plans to sell me soon, once it's in my shop then I plan on moving the S-10 over. Moving and assembling a car lift needs a lot of room. Poor truck has not had air in the front tires in over a year, I can't remember the last time I started it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Filtering the First 6 Gallons of my new recipe Raz-A-Rita Wine

I bought a Buon Vino Mini Jet to filter and polish the 2022-2023 wines I made. I had no idea how well it would work. I was extra slow with this first batch and probably took too many pictures.

Name:  Wine Filtering 1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  55.2 KBName:  Wine Filtering 2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  48.5 KBName:  Wine Filtering 3.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  32.6 KB

First everything had to be washed but washing alone is not enough. Everything that would touch the wine was sanitized using Star-San. Star-San is a very popular sanitizer with wine makers and available at any beer making supplier. After that the set of wine filters had to be soaked first before installing. The filter unit is small and easy to assemble.

Name:  Wine Filtering 4.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  29.6 KBName:  Wine Filtering 5.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  32.6 KB

There are numerous videos on YouTube on how to assemble and prepare your filter unit for use so I won't try to write a set of directions here. I will say that after a little use I had to tighten the hand nobs a bit more to reduce the wine leaking into the catch tray.

Name:  Wine Filtering 6.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  61.7 KB

Oxygen is terrible for wine except in Primary Fermentation where the yeast needs it. Since I weld I have Argon bottles around the shop. Here I'm using Argon gas to displace the oxygen in the Fermenter to prevent my wine from coming in contact with any oxygen while filtering. Argon is heavier than air so it will stay where I need it.

Name:  Wine Filtering 7.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  46.6 KB

Here is a picture of the wine to filter. You can see its clear already but this filtering is to "Polish" the wine, provide a brilliance to the wine in the glass. It does not change the taste that I can tell but dramatically changes the appearance.

Name:  Wine Filtering 8.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  43.2 KB

You have to run a gallon of water thru the filters to flush them of small paper particles before running your wine.

Name:  Wine Filtering 9.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  55.6 KBName:  Wine Filtering 10.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  37.5 KBName:  Wine Filtering 11.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  54.0 KB

In person the shine of the wine after filtering is really noticeable. A little wine drips out of the edge of the filter pads caught by the tray and it drains thru the lower hose into a sanitized catch can. I drank some of that wine, you just get warmth all the way down! The filter is self priming and really easy to use.

Name:  Wine Filtering 13.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  48.9 KB

I tried to get a shot of the filtered wine to show the clarity this was the best I got. I'm looking forward to pulling the cork on a bottle next Summer, maybe another Crappie.com Member will be around to join in. We could have a Wine Tasting on Ross Barnett at the Campground, everyone could walk home.
    Likes Smitty39365, SuperDave336, Slab, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

At first glance I thought your secret ingredient was swiss cheese.

Home Brew (beer) just seems easier to do IMHO.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes Rojo, BuckeyeCrappie, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabilizing Before Bottling

First to address Slab's comment, I don't drink much beer and don't know how to make it but I do like the Corn Fermented stuff but it does not like my joints (developing a allergy to the stuff) which wine doesn't have the compounds that cause the problem. I don't like grape wines either which is why I started making my own hooch. We can't help what we like passing over our taste buds right.

So this wine finished at 12.3% ABV, I'm happy its that low but also I do not need to Back Sweeten. the Final Specific Gravity is quite high, it has almost the body of a Brandy so Sorbate (preservative) is being added to ensure no spoilage down the road. If it was drier wine I would not need Sorbate.

Name:  Stabilizing Before Bottling.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  59.0 KB

The Metabisulfite is quite strong, a 1/4tsp treats 6 gallons. You mix both in a glass to completely dissolve before gently stirring into your wine. Then it needs to rest a few day before Bottling can happen.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! If I was a drinking man…..
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really drink either but I bet those fruity wines are delicious.
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeCrappie View Post
    Very cool! If I was a drinking man…..
    Heart Disease killed most men in our family starting in their late 30's most were gone in their 50's. My father made it to 62 (oldest to date) but the arteries in both legs were replaced in spots and he was constantly going in the hospital. I read a study in my teens how the compounds in Whiskey, especially Bourbon, reduced Heart Disease so I have had "a" "single" drink everyday. It was always 101 when I was younger but I moved down to "Low Lead" 80 proof the last ten years. So did it help? You tell me, all 3 of my siblings have had either a Heart Attack or some interventional treatment, 2 older and one younger. I have never hardly been sick in my life till Covid. I'm convinced it works.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post
    Thanks BuckeyeCrappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    God Bless You
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got a bit of Bottling Done Today

So after filtering, stabilizing, & preserving you need to let the wine rest a bit. Minimum 12 hours, a day or two is better before bottling. I was super rushed this morning so pictures of the bottling operation will be taken next time but I did take a couple of pictures for everyone.

Name:  Bottling 1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  63.8 KBName:  Bottling 2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  60.6 KB

This is my new recipe Raz-a-Rita. A ripe Key lime based wine infused with pure Raspberry puree. 12.3% ABV. Well balanced acid and on the sweet side with a final specific gravity of 1.038.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast