HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My pond absolutely shocked me today!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My pond absolutely shocked me today!!!

About 10 years ago I had a hole 8' deep dug in the shape of a water lily and over the years have been stocking it with fish. The sunfish are trained to wait for me at the dock know the daily supply of bread balls I throw them. Unusual was that they started doing this in March due to almost no ice formed any time this last winter.

Most fish are suspended in deeper water until the spawning urge and insects bring them shallow. Today about 20 sunnies went crazy for the bread. If I had cast lures to them, no doubt it would have been simple to catch them. Crappie and perch are still in deeper water but some were caught on different days in March.

Surprising was the 2.5' weed-eating carp that slowly left a weedy cove they were feeding in, followed to deeper water by small bass and sunnies like in a school. I stocked a carp years ago, but assumed it died so I added 3 more - all four were only 1' long. I never thought fish would swim with them.

The sunfish I assumed were small and few as were the bass. Man was I wrong! Bass and sunnies had spawned in different years and I saw many different sizes of both. Plus, I caught fish in deeper water that uncluded nice size sunfish!

Soon the pads will grow to the surface in three areas and fish will have good ambush areas to attack prey. One bass head was left on shore by a heron so I assumed few decent stocked bass were left. Wrong again! While sunnies were going beserk (as usual) for bread balls, a 1 3/4 lb bass was watching and I later saw another in a different area.

I got to remember to use small barbless hooks when casting lures. These fish are super aggressive and too easy to catch. Soon the local lakes will be in pre-spawn and also easy to catch fish in. Hope the action is as good as in the pond.

This is a shot of it after it filled 5' from rains in Nov.- the present after a severe drought (bottom photo) I assumed killed most of the fish. You can see the bottom that was supposed to be covered by 6' of water.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 04-04-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool pond everyone who fishes dreams of being on the water and IMO water can be the ocean , a lake , river , stream or pond i'd take any . curious did you stock the carp too ?

Post Thanks / Like

Surprising was the 2.5' weed-eating carp that slowly left a weedy cove they were feeding in, followed to deeper water by small bass and sunnies like in a school. I stocked a carp years ago, but assumed it died so I added 3 more - all four were only 1' long.
    So true about yearning to be near or on the water. The most peace and calm for me is being in a boat on a calm, partly cloudy day, casting, in anticipation of something biting my choice of lures. It's like nature saying, 'your choice was right - congratulations' - when I connect. Even if I don't get too many bites, I can enjoy a type of diversion TV can't give me that, in fact, is much of the time more annoying than most other activities.

Amazing how the pads spread. I only put a doz. in years ago and wasn't sure if they'd take. The bull rushes must have been spread by heron and geese that visit - and man did they spread! Had to cut a bunch last year.

I thought for sure all the fish would die when I saw the bottom less than 3.5' from the surface and then frozen over for a short time Nov. of last last year. It happened once before six years ago, which prompted me to dig two ditches connecting a wooded, forest/bog behind the pond, to two long, underground pvc pipes in order to direct as much water as possible to it. It filled like a motha with all the rain we had from Nov. until now! Better 8' than 3.

Stranger still is that the bass, sunfish and carp don't fear me when I'm near the shoreline so as long as I stay still or move slowly and don't make any sudden moves. Even casting to open water doesn't spook them.
    Nature is a mystery to me, still, after all these years.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 04-05-2023 at 01:35 AM.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice pond
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Thanks Spoonminnow thanked you for this post

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice sir.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having fished a lot of ponds, I’ve seen some of what you describe. I fished some gin clear tanks on Oklahoma where I could watch the behavior of the fish with different lures and techniques. It always helps with the attitude to just sit and watch what goes on.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Spoonminnow, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

nice pond

Post Thanks / Like

I fished some gin clear tanks on Oklahoma where I could watch the behavior of the fish with different lures and techniques. It always helps with the attitude to just sit and watch what goes on.
    Man, I haven't seen the word tank used since I was in the Air Force in the 70's! I fish local ones near Wichita Falls and just over the border in OK. as much as I could!
    Course, I didn't have a boat then, having to live with family off base in an apt., but did fish with an officer who was as avid an angler as me who owned a boat.
    Man do I miss those days and Texans in general not to mention the 3 tornadoes I witnessed that were mesmerizing to say the least (but only so long as they continued north away from me!)

Post Thanks / Like

I once stocked a tiny pond behind my apartment, it had running water coming in and going out and thats rare in Texas , them fish were just like you said , highly trained to come to the bread I fed them.
    used to take the local little kids back there to let them hammer ....good times
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Spoonminnow, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing that happens ever so often, like today, are the thousand or so blackbirds that covered the ground 3/4 around on and in the trees. Seems they do so before a major weather change, like tomorrow's severe thunderstorm and temperature hike into the mid 70's, followed by nighttime temperature below freezing later this week! Bet the fish would bite like crazy too! (No fishing for them in the next 48 hours.)

Too bad I didn't have the photo lense handy or you could see them better. The little black birds pictured are only half of what was on the round!
    Name:  birds.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  79.1 KB

Good thing the truck wasn't parked back there. Probably take me an hour cleaning off the windshield!!
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 04-05-2023 at 08:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast