HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hmmmm.... What lures should I use under a float in late March, early April

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

RJR, I’m looking forward to your posts as you learn the good UL setup. Be aware that small braid has a personality that isn’t cooperative at first. As it’s used it softens and become more supple, and that’s when you’ll fall in love with it. I too have a lot of setups, including fly rods, and hardly touch most of them except the very small ones. My brother lives in Loganville with his son and occasionally fish Sinclair. Hope you find those crackers, love to hear the drag noise when they take off.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Tradbow LIKED above post

Tradbow is online now Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll keep y’all abreast of my travels with this UL setup and fishing adventures. Have used 6# braid a lot but not any braid smaller than that. We shall see

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Grain and happy, would one of you please post a pic of the Berkeley nymph. I haven’t a clue.

RJR, one of the combos I keep in the boat is currently spooled with 4lb mono for the abrasive places I sometimes go. But I have run braid on it and I’ve noticed the difference in the sensitivity and how the hits feel. Raid transfers everything to the hand in even this cheap combo I’m talking about. It’s a Shakespeare micro series in 5’6” and a Shimano Sienna reel and it’s nothing special at about $50 for the rig. With braid on it I can feel the tiny strikes very well. My point, it’s nice to have better gear but we have what we have for the moment. The better line makes things a lot easier. I have to run a leader for retying and abrasion resistance but for me there’s no turning back. Hope the shoulder heals well and this UL experiment turns out well also.
    PowerBait(R) Power(R) Nymph - Berkley(R) Fishing
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A light action rod over 6' is overkill IMO. 5'6" - 6' is more than enough to cast even a 1/64oz jig plus plastic a decent distance with the wind.

Side note: different body and tail designs can really make a difference as to whatever else annoys the fish to strike. For a few days I didn't gotten the fewer strikes using a round taper-tail like the Crappie Magnet has - which is one my subtle tail-quiver favorites.
    So I switched to #1 lure labeled in the original post. Man did I get bit!! I can only guess that the zero body quiver and side-to-side darting, along with the bright flashes of metal flakes, really p.o.'d fish. Even some larger sunfish in deeper water that hit hard!

There is a time for subtle, but at other times an in-their-face approach gets bit whether sonically, visually or both. I calll it a tickle vs thump-the-senses approach to lure choice.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 04-05-2023 at 02:14 AM.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those power nymphs look great, and stink too. Gotta work good.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Those power nymphs look great, and stink too. Gotta work good.
    They work great but they are expensive which is the reason I got the mold. Crappie love them also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123