HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: why is it that some anglers look down on pan fishermen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question: why is it that some anglers look down on pan fishermen

On another forum, a few clowns made fun of the fact that I catch bunches of fish using mostly small soft plastics on light jig heads. They target large bass, pike, walleye and other large species going over 5 lbs. in tournaments. My thing is catching fish regardless of size, is the challenge we all share and in my case, catching fish on lures I make or modify (many illustrated on crappie.com).

I did the tournament thing going after bass for 6 years, but got tired of it and the money wasted. Even sold the bass boat.

They claim that only large lures catch big fish, which I've disproven time and again: a 15 lb. carp, 7.5 lb catfish, bass close to 5 lbs, a 4 lb white sucker, and pickerel longer than my arm. Other than that, light tackle and braid are a big challenge when fighting big fish of any species.

Where do they get off?!

Post Thanks / Like

I say fish for what ever makes ya happy
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Not to worry spoonminnow, They are just full of themselves and are ignorant of the facts of life. One day they'll grow up and realize how wrong they've been...Maybe...Just my .02 cents anyway. I totally understand where your coming from.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Likes Spoonminnow, Smitty39365, S10CHEVY, funbun LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

They are just full of themselves
    I hope I never come across like that! If so, I apologize.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Bass fishing, and specifically tournament bass fishing exploded back in the 70's and well, it just got better marketing you might say! I'd say the last 45 or so years of promoting bass fishing, B.A.S.S., glitzy bass boats, high dollar tournaments, sponsors and rigs with more sponsor decals than a Nascar. Numerous fishing shows and magazines with the likes of Jimmy Houston, Roland Martin, Bill Dance, Hank Parker, and back in the day, Ray Scott, Tom Mann, and other high profile famous celebrity fishermen who catch monsters...always, and mostly got famous catching bass. Bass got elevated as some type of "holy grail" of freshwater fishing. Loved all those guys, and grew up watching them and reading about them in the magazines.
    Now people sink $60k in a high power boat and another $60+ in a tow vehicle and that's not even the pros! I guess in their mind they can't justify chasing Bluegills in a rig like that.
    Go figure. As I said, Bass just got better marketing. Anyway, that's my theory FWIW.

The older I get, the less I care what anyone thinks of what I'm doing...and the less interest I have of what anyone else is doing. Do what makes you happy, fish for what you want with a happy heart, and thank God for every hour on the water. Life is short.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Bigtrout, S10CHEVY, funbun LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those same people are probably also trophy buck hunters who look down on a traditional bow hunter who kills a doe with a longbow. Some people are all about trophies. Others appreciate the finer aspects of their activity. Fish how you like and be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason I just fish like a kid now and carry a good quality slingshot in my kayak!
    Likes Smitty39365, Bigtrout, bwilso, S10CHEVY, funbun LIKED above post

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The older I get, the less I care what anyone thinks of what I'm doing...and the less interest I have of what anyone else is doing. Do what makes you happy, fish for what you want with a happy heart, and thank God for every hour on the water. Life is short.[/QUOTE]

Very well put. I only have to please my wife on earth and my father in heaven.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A good question Spoon. Here’s another to add to what’s already been said, which I agree with it all. I started backing boats and their trailers in my teens when some of the owners were too deep in their cooler to get it done, and I’ve been driving truck for over 30 years and have spent a considerable amount of time in reverse. So I’m at the ramp and someone is having a hard time, or just learning, or someone’s significant other who isn’t comfort with the task at hand is holding up the building line. I walk over and ask if I can help them out. They first look at me, then my 20 year old truck, and the Jon boat on the back, then look down their nose and say “no thanks, we got this”. 20 minutes later, after they forgot the rear straps, they finally get it done and move out the way, only to have another moment trying to back the trailer into the parking space. Next inline, I pull up, back in first shot and drop the boat, tie off and park while they’re still trying to get the parking space accomplished. Walking by I throw a quick salute and hop in the ride and I’m away from the ramp, and they haven’t got back to their boat yet.

I’ve learned to ignore the big feeling somebodies that frequent bass boats with dozens of stickers and payments they’d rather not talk about. I’m guessing that when you get in a tournament that it’s �� cool to leave your manners and courtesy at the house. We panfishin folks are having all the fun and we left the stress at home along with their manners.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast