HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Force 85hp motor, carburetor rebuild gonna happen.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are blowing out every little hole with carb cleaner then air.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes Slab, DockShootinJack, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

a torn diaphragm can sure enough lead to troubled waters .....just saying
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first got the Other Woman I paid a shop to tear down and replace the needles and seats and any other parts that would become suspect after many years of sitting in used. They took off the bowls, blew them out with carb cleaner and replaced the bowl gaskets, called it done. The second mechanic I took it to had to do them properly and my issues disappeared. The issues they created along with a few other items made me wonder if I hadn’t bought into something I should have left alone. The second mechanic, Buddy who’s now gone from us, took care of my boat as it was his own and I had no issues other than normal wear and maintenance for the ten years I owned the boat. My thought is to do whatever you spend the time to tear into complete and mark it off the list of possible gremlins. So I’m guessing that you’ll open the holes before resetting the gasket this time. Dremel tool maybe? I’m patiently awaiting fish pictures, I won’t lie.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    I need help, when you coming to Florida. lol. Yeah maybe I do a complete job next time and replace those seats. Easy enough to get at.

And maybe we're talking two different things. Yes there are tiny wire holders for the needle, but I'm talking about the seat for the needle, which is what I did not replace. They are rubber (green rubber) and held in place with a circular piece of wire. We're getting into the weeds, but if you look at 7:25 into this video you'll see what I'm talking about.

The other part of the reason I did not replace those is the stupid kits I bought did not include them. They looked fine to my eye. So hopefully the real problem I am having is with the torn fuel pump diaphragm which I found.
    I see what you are talking about. Looks like a little snap ring that holds the seat in place. Use a pick to remove and a tiny socket to replace.
    Piece of cake!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

So why is long before an update. While putting the fuel pump together I tore the gasket and had to get a new one. Since I was ordering a new one anyway I bought new valves and screen and other gaskets as well. Fuel pump is now rebuilt too. Yay

And I fired her up with the hose on the muffs. Ran great. Idles way too high now so I backed off the idle screw link 3/4 of an inch and she ran wonderfully. On the water might be another story but I'm pleased so far. I'll be putting her in the water in the next day or so. Awaiting another part I wanna install before doing so just cause it'll be easier to install on dry land. Hopefully it comes tomorrow and we'll get her wet again. Yay

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it all rebuilt
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the whole project. Sounds like you will soon be on a tear for spring crappie.
    Pass the "Sportsman Baton" on before you're gone, promote values for others to hunt and fish upon.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal, hope she runs good for you.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good story. You brought the boat and motor back to life.
    Bob

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slab is my kind of guy!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Crappie.com mobile app
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast