HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: What is your favorite type of jig?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hair/Feather

7 20.59%
  • Soft Plastic

16 47.06%
  • Either one, depending on the day

8 23.53%
  • Other (please explain in comments)

3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hair Jigs vs. Soft Plastics?

Post Thanks / Like

I use slab sauce on my plastics, but it doesn't seem to stay on for more than one cast. I thought about using a syringe and injecting. Am I thinking too much?

Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee if you sauce the jigs good it stays on more than one cast! I’ve cast and jigged and then still see the oil slick in the water when bringing it to surface….lol
    Likes shipahoy41, thill LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer soft plastics about 1.5" so the fish gets some metal in their mouth when they attack it. Anything that is a minnow imitation works for me. I am always using "G" sauce on all my presentations. After the Crappies are moved to Lake Crisco I introduce the fillet to hot sauce.

Mike
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Flyfisher66048 LIKED above post

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've poured and tyed my own jigs and caught fish with them. Still do that for BG but not for crappie. I would be afraid to fish with the hand ties I've seen you guys tye. So it's plastics for me because of the narley stuff I like to fish

Sent from my SM-G975U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

"feather" jigs are the best jig in the winter almost always
    plastics work better in the warmer seasons
    I tend to kinda think the feather jigs have a much better subtle action in cold water
    they tend to be more realistic looking in the water when its cold
    I of course don't adhere to all the rules and other theories , but sorta stay in those guidelines sometimes ....yes I said sorta / kinda
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Foxy Jig is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

depends on the conditions..there is a time when both will outfish the other

if longline trolling, rig half the rods with plastics of different colors and the other half with hair jigs of different colors..see what happens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    "feather" jigs are the best jig in the winter almost always
    plastics work better in the warmer seasons
    I tend to kinda think the feather jigs have a much better subtle action in cold water
    they tend to be more realistic looking in the water when it's cold

I of course don't adhere to all the rules and other theories, but sorta stay in those guidelines sometimes ....yes I said sorta / kinda
    Now that is interesting information that I will be keeping in mind. Another nugget!

I guess since I've been tying flies since I was a kid, I don't see the big deal about losing hand-ties. They are cheap and simple compared to most flies, so they go really fast. For the ones in my pic above, I just pinch the tail material, wrap it on, wrap the chenille body around and wrap around the collar with a drop of superglue. Done. I want to say it ties in maybe a minute.

But wait a minute... mine is a super-simple design, and they haven't caught much. I have no idea of what others are tying.

In lure/fly tying, getting the original tying concept down is what takes so much time. You have to figure the right materials, the right amounts, and then get them to lay right and spray right and so on. Initial design can take a very long time to get right. And then you have to repeat it.

And for some reason, certain ties will always out-catch others, even if they look pretty much the same. I really hate losing a "special" fly. You mourn that loss every time!

So after thinking about it, I take my initial statement back. YES, I can understand why some hand-ties are precious!

Now, I need to do a search and see what other people are tying. Maybe I will start catching hand-ties more than plastics. That would be an interesting twist. Plus, tying some jigs will help pass the time pass while the weather is as horrible as it is today.
    Likes ezgoing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    I guarantee if you sauce the jigs good it stays on more than one cast! I’ve cast and jigged and then still see the oil slick in the water when bringing it to surface….lol
    That is interesting. I mostly use Bass Assassin Panfish Assassins, and they are already covered in some kind of oily film, "hog lard", if I recall. That might be why the sauce doesn't seem to stick. Maybe I'll try drying them off first, and then roll them in the sauce for a little longer and see if things change.

Post Thanks / Like

I have thot lots about a plastic bait (BG BS) with a hollowed out “tube” in them. Inject a couple drops slab sauce or sardine juice in them and fish away

Post Thanks / Like

To me and the experience I have I use both hair jigs and plastic and minnows, according to conditions, if it’s cold I almost always use minnows or hot I always use minnows, dock shooting I use hair or plastic, whichever one produces better, but when I jigging over structure I like hair.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast