HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiptail Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kiptail Question

What are the features that make kiptail a favorable jig tail material?? Does it do something that other natural hairs or synthetic materials do not??

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Synthetic really is too slick like plastic And kiptail is very thick like bucktail, I prefer foxtail to any hair because it’s softer , easier to handle and goes along way if you buy an entire dyed or natural tail,,,,comes in assorted colors which I really like and the black is amazing…most of these are all foxtail…
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great info….thank you. Which source do you use for whole dyed fox tails?

MCG1 is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems it is hard to get good, consistent quality on kiptail. I got some faux polarbear from ksnouf that seems similar but a bit softer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deepfry View Post
    Great info….thank you. Which source do you use for whole dyed fox tails?
    Deep fry,,,,I use guthrie tackle on Facebook,,,,he sells jigheads as well,,,,,
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Thanks deepfry thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like kipp tail a lot. The original Doll Fly Jig back in the day was made with polar bear. Kipp tail is the closest thing to it. Has great action. Stiffer than fox tail and softer than buck tail. Has a simular texture to Polar bear. Kind of kinky. Kipp tail with longer hair is harder to find so its better to see it in person to make sure if you are just tying 1/8" jigs. I have a lot so I just match to the size I am tying. If i could only tie with one material....that would be it.

Post Thanks / Like

When my father passed up on Toledo Bend my brother loaded up all the Crappie Jig making stuff and gave it to me. A grocery sack of new Kip Tails was in the pile. I have not bought Kip Tail in years, still working out of my fathers old stash.
    If I die from a Deadly Sin it will be Gluttony!

"Formerly known as rojoguio"
    Likes Micanopy LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can give is my opinion. Fox is nice with lots of action but pricey unless you get lucky at goodwill or someplace like that. Fat man has shown us that it dyes well and holds color. The synthetic has some good qualities also, and I’ve used and still have a bunch of it. The longer streamer length works great on big bucktail and streamers but sometimes isn’t very tough. Bucktail has a tendency to flair too much if you pull too tight and I just don’t care for it for the smaller size jigs. Kiptail seems to fit most of the needs I have. Not always good length so I agree to see it before you buy it. I’ve used jigs that lost hairs over time til they were down to like 6 hairs but they still showed color and caught fish. This prompted me to tie with less hair In The first place. A little shorter too. What I had to warm up to is chasing it around the shank of the hook when first putting it on the jig. Should I get a bald spot in the coverage I just cut a small bit and tie it in, works fine. Dipping Kip in spike it helps sometimes too, and slab sauce stays on a good while. Most of mine get thread collars and I skip the chenille, they still work just fine. Hope this helps, hey Kevin.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Micanopy LIKED above post
    Thanks Timbertodd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Okay,,, here’s my point ,,, kiptail is about 4-5 dollars each,,,( black). Bucktail is about 6-8 dollars each. ( orange). And a full foxtail is about 20.00 dollars ( chartruce).
    Kiptail = good quality tail but very little usable material and very stiff…
    Bucktail = good quality material but if it’s a northern whitetail it’s almost too course,, southern better but smaller and pricey.
    Foxtail= great quality material,,, very soft and holds dye well,,amount of tail far exceeds that of deer or kiptail, Plus, every piece is very usable,,,, but pricey compared to other furs,,,but you get 10 X the material, and it’s way easier. To use and a lot better material to handle…. just my opinion though….
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Likes SuperDave336, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know information for those of us that haven’t used much fur before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast