HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Life Jackets?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    I have two and one is always worn when on the water. A regular one and last year bought an auto inflatable one. I wear the auto inflatable one during summer and the regular one in winter now. I trust the regular one more plus it’s added warmth.
    I really like this idea. Too be honest, last October I put on my life jacket while fishing in the rain. It was a cold wet rain. The life-jacket was a nice warm addition. It really cut the wind. Not that the wind was penetrating my coat. But it took the wind off the body.

Being in the Marine Corp and stationed in Adak Alaska. I've done my share of cold water survival training. I'm confident of my abilities, they have been tested, 40 plus years ago. I'm not as invincible as I used to be.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    ..... 40 plus years ago. I'm not as invincible as I used to be.
    My experience with cold water is farther back than that : stationed in South Korea 1969, I swam/body surfed in the Sea of Japan. Water temps are around 45deg all year long, and the air temp was in the 90's that day. Getting in was a "shocking" experience, to be sure. Wouldn't want to even attempt getting in 60deg water nowadays ... not sure the old ticker would appreciate the shock.
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post
    Thanks Hanr3 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

One of our favorite white bass spawning fisheries is a creek that runs right thru the middle of a major city. This creek has very steep banks and you have to repel yourself up and down with a rope to get to some spots. This creek is known to have very slippery banks during the spring white bass run due to the spring rains. Us old timers know too wear football/soccer cleats and tie yourself off when going down those step banks. Well a newbie who could not swim fell in and drowned fishing the creek. It was sight I will never ever forget. A life vest would have saved his life.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy I helped that flipped his kayak had a pfd in his kayak. Did him absolutely no good as it was floating away before he even struggled up to the surface. Unless worn there is no guarantee they will even be close by if something goes wrong, and it can go wrong fast.
    Likes RogerA LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A good paddle sports cut life jacket is a must in a kayak. Some of them are a little pricey but the comfort and features are worth it. I like a bright colored vest and bright colored blades on the paddle. I want to be seen
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes grizwilson, Lund LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

By myself or in winter it stays on 100% of the time & the only time mine comes off period is if fishing with a buddy in the heat of summer with the trolling motor in the water & we're actively fishing.
    Likes grizwilson, Lund LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Had the float coat and pants from Stearns. They work. Only had one problem with them. Was putting out decoys one December and had just the coat on over my waders. Foot got snagged on a sunken root system and did a face plant in 39 degree water. Float coat and waders kept me a float but had a hard time trying to force my legs down to touch bottom. Seemed like a long time that I was in the water but probably was less than a couple minutes. Since than I carry a walking stick when wading out.
    Use the coat and pants when ice fishing. In the boat inflatable and bright yellow.

Post Thanks / Like

I got an inflatable and wear it the entire time I'm in the boat. I'm still a pretty strong swimmer and comfortable in the water, but accidents can happen very fast and it's worth the price of wearing a vest. And if you are in cold water, you will definitely need the help a vest provides. A cold water shock to the body can lock you up.
    Likes SuperDave336, Lund LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I tell anyone who will listen about my inflatables. I have two, one an auto-inflatable for when I am in a power boat and a pull-cord for kayaks and canoes. The first time I used one I had been working on my Jon, and ran down the road to the closest ramp on Kentucky Lake to test it. I put it on and tested the boat. Finished and loaded the boat on the trailer. I headed back home. It was not until I backed the boat into the garage that I realized I still had the inflatable on. I've gotten caught in a hard down-pour and never had it go off unintentionally. I did step off the dock to see how it felt. It went off almost immediately. I won't go out on the water without one.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes Hanr3, Lund LIKED above post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123