HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confidence Bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confidence Bait

I usually don’t discuss baits much because everyone has a favorite bait they swear by. I’m no different, but it seems my favorite is constantly changing. There is a bait I fished every trip for over a year and now I rarely use it. This year I’ve been using 2-3 different baits with success so why change?? Last 2 trips I’ve used a bigger bait, Crappie Magnet Fin Commander. It’s a 2 1/2 inch bait, 1/2 bigger and fatter than a 2 inch B. Garland. Last Friday report the F. Commander caught at least 75 percent. Yesterday it was more like 90 percent and would have been higher but we ran out of them. Skeptical?? I started out with one and my partner had on a 2 inch BG fishing side by side. I boated 10 fish to 0. We switched rods and I tied a 3 inch F. Commander on his rod and he boated 3 while I was tying on. That was a good test. Give bigger baits a try, you might get a good surprise. I also learned that using a bigger bait doesn’t weed out smaller fish. The 9 inch fish would choke it!!Name:  IMG_1652.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  24.7 KBName:  68357544904__E92A64F2-793B-422D-B844-736C52C14021.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  94.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks BigDawgg, 91tiger thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing your bait tips!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

BuckeyeCrappie is online now Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your experience
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. Those are some good looking baits and colors.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, my "confidence bait" changes all the time ... depending on season, lake, method used, conditions at the time, etc.

Like you, I've had baits I had confidence in for years (like a tube jig), only to try something new and do well with it ... then put the "old" confidence bait away and move on with the new one. Rinse/repeat months or years later.

But, the one bait I have ALWAYS had confidence in .... 1/16oz marabou Road Runner
    Likes SuperDave336, tackleboat, BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been catching some decent crappie on 4" Keitech Easy Shiner swimbaits on 1/8 oz. VMC swimbait jig heads with pretty good success. I normally use 1/32 oz. or 1/8 oz. with B.G. Baby Shad or Lunker City Fin-S-Fish bodies. I was using the Easy Shiners to fish below schools of shad on a slow drift and was surprised how hard the crappie hit them and how deep they'd be hooked. They out-fished the small jigs 4 to 1.

Jim
    Likes SuperDave336, tackleboat, BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yak Fish View Post
    I've been catching some decent crappie on 4" Keitech Easy Shiner swimbaits on 1/8 oz. VMC swimbait jig heads with pretty good success. I normally use 1/32 oz. or 1/8 oz. with B.G. Baby Shad or Lunker City Fin-S-Fish bodies. I was using the Easy Shiners to fish below schools of shad on a slow drift and was surprised how hard the crappie hit them and how deep they'd be hooked. They out-fished the small jigs 4 to 1.

Jim
    Thanks for the encouragement, I bought some 1/4 3 inch rigged baits to try on open water fish. Seeing you used 4 inch inspired me to take the challenge to catch fish on my 3’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is the one that has the fish by the mouth when I lift it out of the water!
    It is a good thing to try new stuff every once in a while. I spend too much time with minnows to know any difference.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always trying to show the fish something that they havent seen. I play around with colors ALOT, and I pull some tied jigs every once in awhile.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

good post. William (Fisherofmen) and I had a similar discussion months back regarding bait profile/sizes. Crappie (due to their large mouth) can consume large baits if desired. He related a story when he had caught some large crappie on 4-1/2" herring. I also showed my son back in April that sometimes crappie will prefer tiny baits. I had switched from a hand-tied 1/16 to a hand-tied 1/64, immediate reaction to the smaller bait after they had quit taking the larger profile. As crappie chasers, sometimes we have to play with colors/profiles/presentations to find out what & how they want it. If you have a half full toolbox you may end up with a half full livewell/cooler...
    "Stumphunter's Crappie Jigs" Prostaff
    Likes CrappiePappy LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast