HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last roasting

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Last roasting

My last treatment was yesterday and now I just have to be patient and heal as best I can. This morning I woke just a little early and had the boat already hooked up so I snuck out for a few after a quick bite. They’re always quick these days. No sense of taste, little saliva and pain when I swallow. Everything taste the same. Hopefully that will change soon.

Dropped in just before 8 and started my usual run but found no one wanting to play other than a bunch of little fellers that would just bump and run. About 85* and an occasional 1mph breeze made conditions very good. I’m guessing they had t had their coffee yet. Heard something busting around in the woods that sounded larger than the squirrels I could see but I never got eyes on whatever it was. Same place I saw the sounder of pigs a couple of months ago.

Moved on to the next stop and found some weeds covering some of the spots I’ve found fish before. Took stock of the wind and looked ahead to find some open shoreline, just what I needed. It was just before ten. It was just after 9 when I got an odd thump. I set the hook, did t have any effect on what was on the other end other than he was easing to the left like I wasn’t there. Then I got the flash that reminded me of the big Gar I tussled with a few weeks back, but it wasn’t. The next flash was closer to the surface and showed about a four pound mudfish, and thank God he wasn’t too fired up. Only took three swipes to net him after a pretty good fight, and the jig fell through the net. Got the jig loose, took the pic and said goodbye. A few small gills were the first fish of the day but he got big fish, hands down.
    Name:  F021D365-7B79-4D8D-8100-60AAEFBC40AB.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  141.7 KB

I eased around and got a few other fish, some were of note, and then I pitched close to the bank and got bumped. I set the hook and didn’t move the fish, then the drag started singing……HARD! He went wherever he chose and I hung on and prayed that he didn’t find any trash cuz I couldn’t steer him at all. Finally got him close and he wanted nothing to do with the net so it took a few tries but I got him for the picture. These three are all the same fish but suffice to say that he was impressive.
    Name:  D583A68A-E1C9-4368-BE6B-2542D840A722.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  117.1 KB
    Name:  A3998C34-643A-4D32-A82D-589909512F77.jpg
Size:  88.2 KB
    Name:  C57F1DD9-EB95-4CE2-A671-ACB08A656DBA.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  66.3 KB

There was good activity from 9 til I left about 1120. I caught several good bluegill and some redbreast, one that tried to steal my little rod, and he was all of 7”. I’ll add some pics in a minute. The activity had me wanting to stay but the storms were building and the heat had me sweating pretty hard so I packed up and left.

I had bought a President XT in 20 size and spooled it with the Varivas PE line and I used it most of the day. I’m very pleased with its performance today. I added some carbon fiber drag washers to it and it is ultra smooth and not jerky at all. The crackers really gave me a hard time and the reel and line were perfect. That little rod is fairly limber and a very good match for the reel.

The new to me boat also did very well. I’ve got a few more things to finish up and then I’ll just have to hook up and go. The Other Woman, my bass boat that I sold a couple of years ago, was set up the same way. Decide where to go, put in the right tackle, and go. No sketchy this or that to fail at the worst possible time. I’m really enjoying it, now to just get better so I can. Thanks for coming along and for all the prayers and concerns. My CDC family is the best anyone could ask for. I hope you get out soon and holler if you see me. Til then, here’s some more pics from today.Name:  DA47F589-7CC4-4CE4-9143-C1F1A9A96181.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  96.8 KB
    Name:  13ABBE42-885D-46B3-A62D-DE23BB7183BF.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  75.2 KB
    Name:  00BDF9DF-145D-42D7-8967-A48DD259C5CA.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  129.2 KB
    Name:  C583AD6D-1473-465C-B9AA-EF7046EC5907.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  116.2 KB
    Name:  F349B5FB-AE7D-472D-8889-7625CD020CC5.jpg
Size:  115.5 KB
    Name:  C96408CA-43C5-4855-A996-878219AAA24C.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  129.1 KB
    Name:  9D11EC87-EA39-40C9-8278-9D9CFF2649B7.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  122.9 KB
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on finishing up your treatments !
    Congrats on a nice day of fishing too !
    Nice crackers and I bet that bowfin was fun !
    “ The bigger the Bend , the Wider the Grin ! “
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes he was, but the crackers were the fight of the day. Love those guys!
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely awesome you are done with your treatments. Thanks for sharing your fishing adventure with us.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

Skeet, good your treatments are finished. Impressive fish, very good day and with a lot of new gear too.

MCG1 is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing is great therapy, eh? Those are so.e thick and deep pan fish. Fun for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on finishing your treatments, and prayers that your life gets back to as close to normal as God will have.

Is that rod with the Precedent reel on it the one you bought from Mudhole that you have mentioned on here before?

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations

That boat sure seems to be working out for you. Looks like it has mounts for a Bimini.
    Maybe they will bite this one……

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some thick ones
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on finishing up the treatments. Heal well Tim, we're all rooting fer ya.

And great job with the catchin', those are some pigs for sure. Fight like heck. New boat, new line, we see it's all working out good. Thanks for sharing.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast