HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The future of marine engines?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm just a dumb country boy, so tell me if this is a dumb idea. Why couldn't a charger generator/alternator be placed somewhere in these vehicles or motors. This could replace some of, or charge the battery while moving. I'm talking like a small generator for each wheel on a vehicle. Even could do it on a boat's prop, or put a wheel in the water that turns as you move. I know you couldn't replace a full charge with the current you would get, but you could extend range I would think. Just a thought. Oh and my idea if somebody makes billions. lol

Sent from my HD1925 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The wheel in the water would cause drag likely draining more from the battery than it would replace. Hybrid technology would be interesting on an outboard much like the hybrid automobiles
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Thanks DWILL thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DWILL View Post
    Maybe I'm just a dumb country boy, so tell me if this is a dumb idea. Why couldn't a charger generator/alternator be placed somewhere in these vehicles or motors. This could replace some of, or charge the battery while moving. I'm talking like a small generator for each wheel on a vehicle. Even could do it on a boat's prop, or put a wheel in the water that turns as you move. I know you couldn't replace a full charge with the current you would get, but you could extend range I would think. Just a thought. Oh and my idea if somebody makes billions. lol

Sent from my HD1925 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Not dumb at all. I believe cars like Tesla do charge while in motion, braking, etc. I'd assume there is a fine line between adding energy or using more energy due to added weight and resistance.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

The Hybrid Toyotas also use dynamic braking to charge the batteries while braking
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Charging from prop rotation seems like something engineers could come up with easily. Maybe not charge a completely dead battery but sure should be able to maintain one easy enough to keep it topped off i would think especially lithium batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the basic understanding you must have. Introduce a current to the winding, it becomes a electric motor, introduce a rotating force to the winding thru a magnetic field it becomes a generator. You can not do both thru the same winding. When the digital current pulse from the SCR is fired to the motor winding I'm assuming it is in "Square Wave" form. By reducing or lengthening the Square Wave the motor produces a change in force to the prop. When you rectify a AC voltage to DC a increase in overall voltage is possible but DC battery source only supplying current to the SCRs can only draw down a battery. The big question is why capacitor technology is not being developed to replace battery technology. Capacitors can be charged to several thousand volts, the trick would be the "controlled" regulated voltage used from the capacitor turned into Kw Current to do the actual work. AC voltage arcs when it makes connection DC voltage arcs when it breaks so a arc off a high voltage capacitor is not as dangerous as high AC voltage.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Charging from prop rotation seems like something engineers could come up with easily. Maybe not charge a completely dead battery but sure should be able to maintain one easy enough to keep it topped off i would think especially lithium batteries.
    If they can't do it with 4 or more tires rotating how are they going to with one tiny prop?

Connecting a generator to the wheel of an electric vehicle won’t recharge its battery – Climate Feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Absolutely viable when solar panel technology improves. The two 100 watt panels I have hooked to an mppt controller would probably keep up with the 55lbs Terrova I have at 50% ouput. That will get you about 1mph with no wind or current. I neat project would be a lightweight houseboat with panels as the roof. As long as you had plenty of time to get there It would be an enjoyable trip. As a safety net I do believe you would need a generator that could be used to get you out of a bad situation should the need arise
    That 55lb Terrova draws more like 300-500 watts at half speed. Would need a lot of panels to keep up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Here is the basic understanding you must have. Introduce a current to the winding, it becomes a electric motor, introduce a rotating force to the winding thru a magnetic field it becomes a generator. You can not do both thru the same winding. When the digital current pulse from the SCR is fired to the motor winding I'm assuming it is in "Square Wave" form. By reducing or lengthening the Square Wave the motor produces a change in force to the prop. When you rectify a AC voltage to DC a increase in overall voltage is possible but DC battery source only supplying current to the SCRs can only draw down a battery. The big question is why capacitor technology is not being developed to replace battery technology. Capacitors can be charged to several thousand volts, the trick would be the "controlled" regulated voltage used from the capacitor turned into Kw Current to do the actual work. AC voltage arcs when it makes connection DC voltage arcs when it breaks so a arc off a high voltage capacitor is not as dangerous as high AC voltage.
    Capacitors don't have the energy density that batteries do. They can only provide a short burst of current.

Speaking of energy density, gasoline has about 100x the energy density of any battery that we have right now.

Even when inefficiency is considered (ICEs are at best 20% efficient, electric motors are 60-80%), you are still looking at batteries being 4-5 times heavier. Say you had a 10 gallon gas tank, it would take ~350lbs of batteries to get the same range. That's a lot of weight in a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thinking and talking ideas. What about small watermill/turbine type of things on the boat? Not extremely large ones to create excessive drag just enough to help add charge to battery when moving? I would think with a combination of solar, wind, water power you could keep a charge on a battery. Could also have solar quick charge stations on public waters. This would all be future stuff as we are not near that now.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DWILL;4271975]Maybe I'm just a dumb country boy, so tell me if this is a dumb idea. Why couldn't a charger generator/alternator be placed somewhere in these vehicles or motors. This could replace some of, or charge the battery while moving. I'm talking like a small generator for each wheel on a vehicle. Even could do it on a boat's prop, or put a wheel in the water that turns as you move. I know you couldn't replace a full charge with the current you would get, but you could extend range I would think. Just a thought. Oh and my idea if somebody makes billions. lol

Sent from my HD1925 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app[/QUOT

Think of it this way,a battery running a electric motor that's running a generator to recharge the battery....physics says that's a lose,lose situation

(My first physics lesson in 1972) When we were kids on our bicycles we had generator lights,it was a small generator on a spring loaded bracket bolted to a front fork that would engage the side of the tire.
    Free power,well not exactly when you engaged the generator and lit up that 6volt candle they called a light,it peddled a lot,lot harder,it took a lot more "energy" to go the same speed and make power for the light.
    So when you got home you ate more of mom a dads foodto replace the energy you burned to generate power.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast