HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Join 10# Nanofil to 4# Flourocarbon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Join 10# Nanofil to 4# Flourocarbon

I’ve tried a number of knots to join a 4# flouro leader to 10# nanofil. The only knot that seems to hold is a Huffnagle. But it is a little bulky.

Has anyone had success joining these 2 types of lines?

Thanks in Advance,
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Alberto for several years, never had a failure on a fish so far..... I use 8 wraps down, 8 wraps back, had many failures initially until a friend showed me, Use the fluro or mono to form the loop, wrap with the nano or braid, seemed backwards to me, but works better at least for me. Since I usually use less than 6 ft. of leader, I often opt for mono over fluro, even more forgiving since Strech is not an issue, some fluro is more forgiving than others. Tight lines. g
    Likes z520tom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Griz!
    Looks like a good knot for this application. Tied one up and pulled until the line broke. The 4# flouro broke about 3/16” from the knot. Definitely not in the knot. Will try to lube the lines better before pulling them tight. I think the friction (even though wetted) caused the leader to break where it did.

I didn’t test the weight of the pull, but the line took quite a bit of pull before breaking.

Great information,
    Thanks…
    Dan
    Likes grizwilson LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the FG knot to join my braid and leader in my salt ventures and it works great. Super smooth going thru the guides, but it takes a bit to learn this one. Made me say bad words sometimes. A double uni joins my 2lb Nanofil and 4lb Stren leader. Kinda apples and oranges comparison cuz both of my lines are small. That’s the best I have to offer.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skeet Bum.

The FG knot is a favorite of mine. But it hasn’t worked out for the micro line. The double Uni-Knots didn’t work for me. Line broke in knots. Maybe I am not skilled with that knot. I haven’t used that one much.

So far the Alberto and Huffnagle don’t break in the knots. But the Huffnagle is slightly bulky and tends to put a crook in the line.

I am knot obsessed. Before retiring, I ran a saltwater charter business that guided fly fishermen.

Thanks for the reply,
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried several lately, as my line was breaking at the knot, when l had a hangup. The FG knot is working better.

Post Thanks / Like

Don, you may want to give the Alberto a try for your ultra light lines. I am initially impressed with it and it is easier to tie than the FG. If you do, please let us know your findings.

Post Thanks / Like

Griz, have you used a small smooth nail or something similar to make your 8 up and down wraps on? It sure simplifies things for my aging eyes :-)

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Roland Martin suggests using what he calls. Double Uni knot,,,,sounds the same as the Alberto know though,,,
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyDan View Post
    Griz, have you used a small smooth nail or something similar to make your 8 up and down wraps on? It sure simplifies things for my aging eyes :-)
    Should have mentioned that, I use a ty-rite tool often
    Ty-Rite Hook Holder - Standard size : Fly Fishing Tools : Sports & Outdoors (amazon.com)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast