HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice running new 6awg wire for trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice running new 6awg wire for trolling motor

As the title states I need some advice. I have an all welded Lowe 17 stryker, that I am changing out the original 12v motor guide trolling motor to a 24v 80lb Terrova. The former wire was not big enough based on Minn kota recommendations. I'm attempting to run new 6 awg wire from the the bow to the back. And I have ran into some problems

My original plan was to attach the new wire to old in the front of the boat then pull the wire through from the back. I removed the old 12 receptacle and taped the wires together. From what i was able to eyeball the old wire is port side but makes a hard turn to starboard. There isn't any access through the front deck to get a better look at the wire.

The action of pulling the wire was an epic fail. After pulling the wire approximately 5 foot, it got stuck. Could not pull anymore from the back nor the front. Pulled so hard from both sides that the wire separated from the front and broke in the back. I tried to use my fish tape from the back but didn't get anywhere with that either.

I have searched the interwebs for similar situations and remedies, but didn't find anything relatable.
    I have a couple of ideas to solve my problem, but I need some advice before I do something foolish.

I have to ideas. Front of the boat only has 2 storage compartments. One is rather large, the other is more of anchor storage. Thinking of moving trolling batteries to the front storage, which wouldn't be too difficult to do and only require one hole to cut. And that's if the storage is deep enough.
    My other thought is running the wire through the storage, then under the console (but on top of the floor), then coming up behind the throttle and running with the existed console wires to the back of the boat. There is a protective welded carpeted cover over those wires and throttle cables. This method would require 2 holes to cut, but it would keep the batteries in the back.

Any advice would be appreciated, or if anyone has had this happen to them and can speak from experience. I would be grateful.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just my opinion, but I think trolling batteries are better off in the front for a couple reasons. One, trolling motor wiring is much simpler, and the weight is usually better up there. Especially if you have bigger batteries.
    Thanks LT23 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Surely there is a way to remove side panels and auch to gain access to the wiring
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I might run the wires in flexible conduit the best you can, tuck out of the way the best you can when you can, and roll with it. Perhaps you could use some improvised hangers along the way to neaten it up, and go fish. And, as always, fuse as close to the source of power as you can, 'cause we all know "Things Happen".
    This would be a good time to consider also running an additional power lead up there in the conduit for any other need that may arise - 12 volt outlet, phone charger, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Surely there is a way to remove side panels and auch to gain access to the wiring
    I wished, but unless I overlooked it. I couldn't find any other access areas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah View Post
    I might run the wires in flexible conduit the best you can, tuck out of the way the best you can when you can, and roll with it. Perhaps you could use some improvised hangers along the way to neaten it up, and go fish. And, as always, fuse as close to the source of power as you can, 'cause we all know "Things Happen".
    This would be a good time to consider also running an additional power lead up there in the conduit for any other need that may arise - 12 volt outlet, phone charger, etc.
    Thanks! I'm thinking I will end up going this route. I have already purchased a minnkota 60amp breaker. Will install it where ever the batteries go.

Post Thanks / Like

The flexible conduit would certainly be the easiest way to remedy the problem

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I believe it could be neatly done, and you could be proud of it too.
    I have seen some conduit jobs done from the factory that left a lot to be desired, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

It could definitely be done to where it looks like it belongs there

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is just me thinking, I have never seen one of these newer aluminum boats all decked out that you could not remove almost every panel on them. Some are screwed on and some are riveted. Sometimes it can be hard finding the screw head if buried in carpet. If nothing else I would contact Lowe and talk to someone in the plant about how they are assembled and how to access that wiring.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes wannabe fisherman, NCkenner LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast