HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Livescope Destroyed Your Grandfathers Teachings and Tradition Lost

Post Thanks / Like

Default Livescope Destroyed Your Grandfathers Teachings and Tradition Lost

So I've been hearing about Livescope for a while and finally went with some friends to see this thing in action and to decide if I want to invest in it for my boat. We had 3 boats in our group, all with Livescope and headed to the lake. My friend is showing me all about it and how you can see this and that. I thought it was cool at first and amazed at the technology. Fast forward 3 hours later and I have now decided to never install it on my boat. Why you ask? Well, let me tell you what I found out.

I observed over several hours that my friend basically stared at his Livescope the entire time, as did the other 2 boats with us. They would get on a pocket of fish and YES, we did catch some fish, so it does work, that part is undeniable! The problem is that I would say hey that spot over there looks amazing, let's go try it out. Nah, we just gonna follow the Livescope or try to catch the fish it's showing us. Sometimes it would show you fish that would not bite at all, even with a bait in front of them. After 15 minutes of that, I was ready to try another spot but they were so fixated on the Livescope and the fish it was showing, that they didn't want to move. Then when we did move to some great looking spots, they would say, no, not enough fish there so we didn't stop. Spots we'd have normally fished with anticipation.

Second, I LOVE catching fish as much as the next guy/gal but what I experienced was not your usual getting away from the job or home fishing trip. It didn't feel rewarding in a way that I usually feel after having been on the water for an afternoon or evening. It was like ok, we are gonna use this high dollar tool to go out and pinpoint fish and bring home a mess. We didn't watch the birds above us, the deer on the bank, the snake on the log or the gator sunning himself. We were hyper focused on watching a screen and targeting the fish it showed us. All our talk was not of how we were doing in our lives. It was all centered around watching groups of fish and fixated on the brush and underwater structure.

I don't know, for me it's a great tool if all you care about it putting the maximum amount of fish in your freezer and not getting much else out of the experience. I just enjoy a totally different approach to fishing. I enjoy going out with my friends or wife or kids and never knowing if we are gonna catch a mess or come home empty handed. I enjoy the adventure of looking around the lake and saying, that looks like a great spot, let's try over there. Or watching the wildlife, talking about life and not having to watch a screen the whole time, etc. I like seeing a stump in the water and easing up to jig around it, not knowing if there is a slab hanging around or not. With the Livescope, you just scan and say nah, nothing there, let's keep moving. No mystery, no intrigue, no excitement at the possibilities. It just sucks the life and fun of what fishing has always meant to me.

Some of my greatest memories growing up with my Dad, Grandfather and Uncles, was fishing and the adventures we had. One day your a bust and the next your filling the ice chest. It was the journey, the things we saw on the water, the one that got away. We didn't have any electronics and we enjoyed every minute of it. We were NOT obsessed with watching screens because we didn't have any. Our biggest decisions were what color to try next or which spot we thought they were hanging around today. Sometimes it was what did mom pack for our lunch on the boat, lol. We had some amazing conversations and memories. Not sure if that would happen now, if grandpa just fiddles with his Livescope all day

I may not always fill my freezer but I still enjoy the mystery. I feel relaxed at the end of the trip and my neck doesn't hurt from staring at a screen all day long. Nothing against Livescope, it's a great tool, I admit that. Used properly, you will go home with fish. It's just not for me right now.

God bless and good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not fished with it in the boat. I have seen it being used. I have the same feelings about it as you do. I do not believe it is for me. As close as I will get is Hummingbird Mega 360
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Stumpy04, crp4570, MCG1, WRG, Ande, scrat, Bendalu LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I have not fished with it in the boat. I have seen it being used. I have the same feelings about it as you do. I do not believe it is for me. As close as I will get is Hummingbird Mega 360
    If you’re going to use 360, you may as well use livescope. Same concept. Looking down at your screen all day watching what direction the fish moved. I have livescope and very rarely use it. I do just fine without it as a lot of others do too. If / when my grands want to play video games out there on their phones, I’ll hook it up and let them see what they can do with it. I’ll be the coolest grandpa going. Real life fishing video game.
    Likes crp4570, Redge, WRG, Ande, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well said m&m. I feel the same way. The best fishing memories I have are with fishing with my dad & grandpa's. Back then we just spent time enjoying the outdoors. We may be out all day & not catch a fish. But it was time well spent as they have all passed on now. We wasn't fortunate enough to even have a boat we just sit out on the bank. I do have a boat but do not see me ever having livescope.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Ande LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post.
    If you cast it they will come.
    Likes Curlytail LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Livescope Destroyed Your Grandfathers Teachings and Tradition LostLivescope Destroyed Your Grandfathers Teachings and Tradition Lost don’t us live scope Livescope Destroyed Your Grandfathers Teachings and Tradition Lost I enjoy my time on the water catching fish or not Livescope Destroyed Your Grandfathers Teachings and Tradition LostLivescope Destroyed Your Grandfathers Teachings and Tradition Lost

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    Likes Curlytail LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    If you’re going to use 360, you may as well use livescope. Same concept. Looking down at your screen all day watching what direction the fish moved. I have livescope and very rarely use it. I do just fine without it as a lot of others do too. If / when my grands want to play video games out there on their phones, I’ll hook it up and let them see what they can do with it. I’ll be the coolest grandpa going. Real life fishing video game.
    I figure I will use it to see structure and fish under the dock. Then it is time to shoot. Move to the next dock and scan.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Redge, Tradbow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well said! I've got nothing against those using livescope, but like you I've decided it's not for me.

The best part of crappie fishing is NOT knowing what is going on underwater. I don't want to know that THUMP is coming, I want it to surprise me!

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like any electronics now a days will ruin it if you were fishing with no electronics back then.

I enjoy everything about the outdoors and livescope hasn’t taken that from me or made me forget about fishing memories or tradition. I’m passing on new memories and tradition to my son. It’s a mashup from past experience with new experience.
    Last edited by DrNip; 03-26-2022 at 08:25 PM.
    Likes Redge, Slab Hunter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything you said….sucks the life out of fishing. Half of fishing is being in the beautiful outdoors and livescope is a huge distraction to that. If I were to use livescope I would use it exactly like old school fish finders work. I would find the fish and start fishing and not look at the dang thing. Just use it to find them that’s all. What people will do is find the fish then proceed to stare at the screen the ENTIRE time watching their bait fall in the water and how close it is to the fish, then watch the fish swim up and eat it. Talk about zapping the anticipation and excitement out of fishing! That’s it! I want to fish, not play the latest version of a fishing video game. Which is exactly what your doing fishing like that.

Also….I’m not sure the “rules and regulations” of crappie and bass tournaments but livescope should no question be completely banned in my opinion.
    Likes Curlytail, Ande LIKED above post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast