HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a boat on Craigslist

Post Thanks / Like

The seller can block his phone number. I purchased my boat off of Craigslist but I talked to the gentleman on the phone before I drove 3 1/2 hours. We even agreed on the final price pending on the boat being as advertised. It is a 18’ Astro with 150 Mercury that I’ve had for 8 years now. It has only been to my mechanic twice and it was less than $500.00 for both trips. I do my own water pump replacement and other minor repairs. I was lucky when my son found the boat on Craigslist I only paid $3000.00 for it. My mechanic told me he could sell the engine for more than I paid for the whole rig. I didn’t know what the 2.5 liter XR6 on the engine mint. The mechanic told me it was high performance from the factory and that bass fisherman loved these engines because they are tough. Sometimes we can get lucky and that was my lucky day.

Post Thanks / Like

Those go fast boat guys love them too
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 14ft Carolina Skiff and a 25hp Mercury with 4hrs on it off Facebook Market place. I drove 2hrs for the skiff and a hour and half for the Mercury. Traded emails with both sellers and spoke with them on the phone before picking up both items. I ask one guy for additional pictures and he sent them right away. I am not sure I would buy anything for thousands of dollars from someone who is hesitant to speak with me. Years ago I bought a low mileage Corvette off EBay. Spoke with seller and advised him I would pull out of the car was not as described. He advised I could take it to a mechanic and have it checked out before paying for it. It was as described and I still have the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped a half mile from the house 2 weeks ago to look at a boat. Had a new 4 stroke 90hp Suzuki ( 2020 on an older Skeeter G3/ Skeeter 17' aluminum bass boat. Sign said selling motor and giving the boat to the buyer if the motor. Motor had the skeg buried in the ground. As I looked at the boat I could not find the rating plate on the boat. Motor fired right up. The bottom of the foot and skeg had been ran aground and blasted down to bare aluminum with deep scratches. Once I looked uo the hull ID number and some research the boat is rated for a 75 hp motor maximum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I stopped a half mile from the house 2 weeks ago to look at a boat. Had a new 4 stroke 90hp Suzuki ( 2020 on an older Skeeter G3/ Skeeter 17' aluminum bass boat. Sign said selling motor and giving the boat to the buyer if the motor. Motor had the skeg buried in the ground. As I looked at the boat I could not find the rating plate on the boat. Motor fired right up. The bottom of the foot and skeg had been ran aground and blasted down to bare aluminum with deep scratches. Once I looked uo the hull ID number and some research the boat is rated for a 75 hp motor maximum.
    buy it , rocket boat for sure and quiet and if it is cheap who cares what you hit in it ...right ...
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I get any kind of gut feeling that this guy is not straight up, I walk away. I sell stuff on CL sometimes and every time I’m approached by scammers. If they send a dumb email about do this or do that and I’ll forward money or I only respond to email , that’s a big fat GOODBYE!!!
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my kayak on Craigslist with no problems. The guy replied to every email and I never had an uneasy feeling about it. Seller was from Tennessee and then meet me halfway so we could see it and then buy it. Each situation is different and just have to use your instincts and smarts. If in doubt walk away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post

My very first boat was a 1979 15ft Skeeter bass boat. I bought from a boat mechanic shop and assumed the owner knew what he was doing. That boat had a 90hp Mercury while rated for a 60hp. I was new to boats so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It was scary how fast that boat was. I thought this was normal and only later on did I find out the motor was way more than that boat required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    buy it , rocket boat for sure and quiet and if it is cheap who cares what you hit in it ...right ...
    Couldn't get it insured. With the cost of trolling motors and electronics these days. Insurance is a good idea

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
    My very first boat was a 1979 15ft Skeeter bass boat. I bought from a boat mechanic shop and assumed the owner knew what he was doing. That boat had a 90hp Mercury while rated for a 60hp. I was new to boats so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It was scary how fast that boat was. I thought this was normal and only later on did I find out the motor was way more than that boat required.
    Had one of those. Motor was built from what I was told to 140hp. Wore a 90hp cowl. It was pretty fast on a 14' Astroglass boat. Being young I only knew 2 speeds stopped and wide open. Backed it off the trailer and went to turn it to put it on the dock. The steering wheel came off in my hands. The hub had been replaced by fiberglass, duck tape, and bailing wire. Glad it chose that moment to give up instead of when I was out running wide open
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast