Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 115 SHO 4 stroke gas guzzler

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I cruise at 4000 rpm

Post Thanks / Like

That 150 Johnson got close to a gallon a mile at WOT. It was fun. It loved the gas
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes FurFlyin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

With my '92 Mercury 115 2 stroke, I mostly cruise about 3K - 4K RPM, and it's not too bad on fuel.
    However, at least once or twice while out in the boat, I do wind it up full throttle for a couple of minutes or so to blow the soot out, Dad always declared that a "Must", and I do too. During that time, consume is an understatement. I truly believe the gas in the tank starts a swirl 'round and 'round when I wind it up! 20 gallon tank keeps me from getting too concerned, I usually keep it topped off.
    The worst gas guzzler we had to deal with years ago was an old, old Johnson "650" Army green colored monster outboard that weighed hundreds of pounds. Watching Dad wrestle that thing in and out of an old V-Hull aluminum fishing boat from His pier, in the water, got quite entertaining at times. 6 gallon fuel tank would not get you very far at all. Someone gave that old motor to Dad, free of charge. In a story too wild for any of yall to believe, that motor wound up on the bottom of the Warrior River in about 90 feet of water, "Right where it belongs", in Dad's own words. Not one effort to recover it has been made to this day, as we all well remember Dad's promise to anyone that dared to bring it back home!
    Likes NCkenner, FurFlyin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah View Post
    With my '92 Mercury 115 2 stroke, I mostly cruise about 3K - 4K RPM, and it's not too bad on fuel.
    However, at least once or twice while out in the boat, I do wind it up full throttle for a couple of minutes or so to blow the soot out, Dad always declared that a "Must", and I do too. During that time, consume is an understatement. I truly believe the gas in the tank starts a swirl 'round and 'round when I wind it up! 20 gallon tank keeps me from getting too concerned, I usually keep it topped off.
    The worst gas guzzler we had to deal with years ago was an old, old Johnson "650" Army green colored monster outboard that weighed hundreds of pounds. Watching Dad wrestle that thing in and out of an old V-Hull aluminum fishing boat from His pier, in the water, got quite entertaining at times. 6 gallon fuel tank would not get you very far at all. Someone gave that old motor to Dad, free of charge. In a story too wild for any of yall to believe, that motor wound up on the bottom of the Warrior River in about 90 feet of water, "Right where it belongs", in Dad's own words. Not one effort to recover it has been made to this day, as we all well remember Dad's promise to anyone that dared to bring it back home!
    Some catfish is snuggled up next to it as you type

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Some catfish is snuggled up next to it as you type
    Good to know someone found something useful about that motor!
    We used to joke that it would make a good boat anchor - for a barge!

Post Thanks / Like

Efficiency was certainly not part of their makeup

Post Thanks / Like

Neither was "Weight Saving Technology"...

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that the engine is quiet and propels me along at more than fast enough speeds. 20 gallon tank lasts and lasts, so my only concern has been how much water is being gathered by the ethanol. I been filling to about 3/4 full and that seems to last about two months. Now the TM is another matter. Iam killing that thing.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes NCkenner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micanopy View Post
    I like that the engine is quiet and propels me along at more than fast enough speeds. 20 gallon tank lasts and lasts, so my only concern has been how much water is being gathered by the ethanol. I been filling to about 3/4 full and that seems to last about two months. Now the TM is another matter. Iam killing that thing.
    They do make fuel stabilizers to help keep ethonal from causing as many problems. A water separation filter may not be a bad idea either. Any moisture in the fuel would be caught by the filter before it gets to the motor
    Likes NCkenner, FurFlyin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micanopy View Post
    If you don't have a water separator filter on the boat you need one. AFAIK they are a "requirement" for 4 strokes. I am using ethanol gas in mine because two of my buddies with 4 strokes both were using it in theirs. It sure makes filling up easier and cheaper. I am replacing my filter as soon as the new one comes in. I ordered it a few days ago. I installed a filter and housing in my old boat when I restored it. I replaced it once per year. I only ran non ethanol in it but when I replaced the filter, I was always amazed at how much gunk the filter caught.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast