HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Private land and fishing

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Private land and fishing

I am just curious about the common feelings around stream fishing in your area. Here in the part of Illinois where I am you risk going to jail for trespassing. It's mostly farm land with narrow wooded areas along the creeks and streams. Sometimes when in the water and always when on the bank you are on private property. I completely understand the rule of asking permission from the owner. The problem with that is a lot of times the owner does not live anywhere close to even know who it is. There are varied opinions around here on whether it's legal as long as your in the water and others say that the land owner owns both sides of the creek so they own the creek too.
    What is the common feeling in your area?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Did you mean to post this here?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably best to try and get permission. In some states owners are real fussy about trespassing. Depending on whether the landowner has riparian rights, they may not own the stream-bed, but you still need access to the water. Better to be safe than get into a problem situation.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Did you mean to post this here?
    I did. Seems like most stream fishing relates to panfish so I figured the most experience with private land would be here.

Post Thanks / Like

Most streams and rivers here are public. I owned property on a lake in South Mississippi. It stated on the deed that I did not own all the way to the water. 20 feet from the water I had access and upkeep but no ownership
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

In Mississippi you need permission from the landowner. Now in Jack's case somebody else owns the strip between him and the lake. On the big reservoirs that land all the way around the lake is owned by the Corps of Engineers. On a lot of smaller lakes it's owned by the state. Creeks are owned by private land owners. Watershed lakes are built by the government. But the land under the lake is owned by private landowner and you need permission.
    Last edited by "G"; 10-01-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks crp4570 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Illinois we have borrow pits and the soil is used to build the overpasses. If the state stocks them then the landowner must allow fishing. It would have to be done from a helicopter though since they don't have to let you on their property.

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a small creek on my place and let me tell ya, permission is needed.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

Default Private land and fishing

Each state can be different but many will be similar to TN. I studied the law on this as well as any lawyer….even consulted with my lawyer on it. For 4 years I was heavy into kayak fishing. TN has tons of small streams with tons of fish. I wanted to float all of them I could get to. In TN it has to do with what is considered a navigable waterway. That term does not mean what you may think. If so much as a log could have floated down it that could make it navigable. The state of TN goes by what the Corp of Engineers says is navigable. The Corp has a list…a very long list….of navigable waterways in TN. In the law it speaks of riparian rights…..and high water marks. If you are floating any stream deemed to be navigable by the Corp you can beach your vessel and be on dry land as long as you do not go above the high water mark. The law is very liberal on where the high water mark is. It just needs to be something apparent that water had at one time reached that level….driftwood…..beat down grass. The law…..as written is on the side of the fisherman. But……when the sheriff is called he is going to ask you to leave. If you do not leave you could be arrested. When you go to the local judge he does not have to go by what the law states. According to my research….and the conversations with my lawyer…..at no time ever in the history of the state of TN has anyone who was brought into court on this ever beat it. On the Caney Fork River here this happens every so often. Folks pull over to get out and stretch their legs and the landowner happens to come along. Sometimes the Sheriff is involved and sometimes TWRA is involved. All will advise you to leave. To me I decided even though the law is clear it was not worth the hassle. When you think about it, a man owns property in that county…..he is well known. You are an outsider no one knows…..you’re not going to win with the local judge. So I just gave up on it.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks Ketchn thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

navigable waters here as stated and normal water level ,property rights begin at normal pool level and above from what the game warden told me when I asked about it one year .
    navigable typically covers waters a big boat can run in best I can tell ya in these parts .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast