HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gone and Messed up...

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully your back will get straightened out and you can get the boot gone. I would like to see some photos of the repair.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I can Jack...LOL. I want this boot gone too...Find out on the 26th what doc says.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Thanks Mmirg thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That was not me rushing. Only showing interest is seeing the job they did.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First, please take your time and heal right. I’ve got a couple of things that I didn’t and I’m now paying for that.

Second, I’m sorry I didn’t follow this all along. One of my suggestions would have been to add a plate over the broken area and used the JB generously. I’ve used gray marine Tex in this fashion on previous motor repairs and they’ve never failed. Pooh bah was spot on for the prep, well advised there. I would use a bath in acetone for an overnight myself as it removes most anything. Glad to hear the weld is acceptable and hope it holds for you.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    That was not me rushing. Only showing interest is seeing the job they did.
    Honestly, I didn't think you were rushing. If I came across as though I thought you were I apologize. But I hope to get out their tomorrow for some pictures.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    First, please take your time and heal right. I’ve got a couple of things that I didn’t and I’m now paying for that.

Second, I’m sorry I didn’t follow this all along. One of my suggestions would have been to add a plate over the broken area and used the JB generously. I’ve used gray marine Tex in this fashion on previous motor repairs and they’ve never failed. Pooh bah was spot on for the prep, well advised there. I would use a bath in acetone for an overnight myself as it removes most anything. Glad to hear the weld is acceptable and hope it holds for you.
    Skeetbum, When I can, I plan on using a grinder to straighten his mess up. I personally think he had his welder set too hot as it went all the way through as in 100% penetration. Which is good to some degree, but the piece was only 1/8" thick. Once I get it smoothed out, Yes, I am going to J.B. weld a plate to it to make sure it don't break.

Post Thanks / Like

I got out to my shed and got these pics this morning...I need to bring the top smooth. The weld line is about a 1/16th of an inch high...Name:  20210721_070711.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  57.6 KBName:  20210721_070726.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  53.4 KBName:  20210721_070909.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  53.6 KBName:  20210721_070922.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  54.9 KB

Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it will clean up with a grinder. For no more time than it would have taken the welder to dress that up. It would not have left my table not done. A 4 or 6 in flap disc will blend that in nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

So use a flap disc instead of a grinding wheel??

Post Thanks / Like

That would be what I would use. It will leave a smoother finish. As a side note. Regular grinding disc are not made for aluminum. They will load up and could explode.
    They make grinding disc specifically for aluminum

A flap disc is good for steel or aluminum
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast