HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Bluegill Hunter. Need Favorite rod suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

2X on the microlites

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have many but I’ll speak of my favorites. I have the predecessor to the TCB, known as the TSS or the Trout slayer series. Now out of production but a great rod if you can find it mine is in 6 foot six. I also have a 6 foot six Browning airstream. Cast like no tomorrow and also nice in the hand. My two5 foot six rods are a Fenwick Eagle and old Berkley lightning rod. Both do very well in tight quarters but it’s nice to have a long garage in open water. All of them were a president 20 or 25. Good advice on the lures so far but I use a lot of Bobby garland Itty bitty Slab slayers and Itty bitty swimmers on jig heads lighter than 1/32. Welcome to the madness
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Dollfly, Ketchn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

on the recomendation of one of the posters here I recently bought a 6'6" Okuma Celio Rod and i liked it so much I bought three more. You cannot beat this for a 30.00 rod. also I bought an Okuma reel with it. Very satisfied. I have swapped out all my ultralight rods for the Okuma Celio.
    Likes bpenrod, Eagle 1, Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The Okuma UL in 6.6' is a good rod for the money.

njones is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both the TCB and TSS, they’re the exact same rod. As mentioned the BnM TCB is great rod for gils. I use the bass pro tiny lite spinning reels spooled with 2lb trout magnet SOS line. Trout Magnets are just down right deadly on panfish.

Nate.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used 2 lb test, tried one time, every knot I tied I broke the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njones View Post
    I have both the TCB and TSS, they’re the exact same rod. As mentioned the BnM TCB is great rod for gils. I use the bass pro tiny lite spinning reels spooled with 2lb trout magnet SOS line. Trout Magnets are just down right deadly on panfish.

Nate.
    The TCB/TSS rods are no wimps. Last week I caught a humongous smallie over 17 inches on my TSS. It was a 5+ minute fight and was so big I had to beach it in fear of breaking the rod! I have a photo taken by a real nice couple passing by and I need to learn how to post one. Time to read up!
    Bob
    Likes njones LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bpenrod View Post
    I've never used 2 lb test, tried one time, every knot I tied I broke the line.
    Pick up a spool of Stren crappie brand hi vis line in 2lb test. I’ve tried many brands and this one has done the best by me. Also, look up the speed knot. Been using it a long time and moisten it before you tighten. Braid or mono, never had one fail and it’s simple to tie, without my glasses.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes bpenrod LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Had good luck with Leland SOS two-pound line and Palomar knots.
    Check out my Instagram fishing pics:
    https://www.instagram.com/fishfishwish/

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fished for blue gill since I lived in Colorado, early 1980's. Used a UL rod and reel and beetle spins an 1/8th oz jigs. Geese they worked great! Just spoke of a UL level wind casting rod and reel I set up. Low profile Daiwa Reel and a 6' Ugly Stick for 6-12# line. have 6# on it and tried casting a 1/8th oz jig with a 1 1/4" cork slip float, cast's great! I'm pretty sure that that set up would do a number on bluegills. have another kastking small low profile on the way that is going on a 7' Ocuma Kokanee pro rod rated for 2-8
    # line. Going to start out with 4# line because I can't find any 2# here! I also have several UL spinning rods. My favorite is a really small Ocuma on an Ocuma UL rod. Seem's the rod and reel were around $30 brand new and I really like this Ocuma stuff. That's a pitch for Ocuma, they have some first rate fishing rods and reel out there! I have another small Ocuma spinning rod that I love an UL Shamano that is great and beauty of these thing's is you don't have to sell the farm to get them! Oh come to think of it I also have one Kastking UL spinning reel also and it's another I'd recommend to anyone.
    Likes bpenrod LIKED above post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast